Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wenchie, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

It's having beef. I uploaded all the windows updates in order to remove the trojan that was hiding in my system, and now when I open it, the splash screen pops up like normal, but it takes literally 2 or 3 minutes to load, and or reload when I switch Identities.

Anyone ever have this problem before, and how do I fix it without uninstalling. But if I DO have to how do I save my email directories/files to be reloaded once I reinstall?

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

delete the normal.dot worked for me if I remember. Windows rebuilds it anyway.

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Hi Wenchie, Leave a message back here if this fix works. A friend of mine was just complaining to me last weekend about the same long load time with Outlook Express on his Win XP system. I did not see it or quite understand what his problem was since he could not explain it to well (he is a PC novice). But now from your message I think it is exactly the same problem he has. One more thing to check out though. I remember him implying that if he disabled AOL Instant Messenger that he thought things were a little better. I'm not sure if it is related or not but it may be worth check if necessary. That is if you use it or have it installed.

Thx! And Thx to BoredOutOfMyMind for the suggestion! :)

4. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Don't uninstall just yet! And even if you were to, depending on the cause, it might not fix it. I'm sure a fix will come your way.

If the normal.dot suggestion doesn't work, here's something to check:

In OE, click Tools > Options and remove the check mark for "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" (if it's checked). Then add a check mark for "When starting, go directly to my 'Inbox' folder". Then goto View Menu > Layout and remove the check mark for "Contacts".

Let us know how it goes.

5. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

well, alanc, i'm cool enough that its set the ay by default :p I UNINSTALLED messenger, beause i HATE it.

chaslang... AIM has nothing to do with it. Curious... How long have YOU been working on computers? No offense, but you seem to be a bit of a novice yourself. But thanks anyway... you'll get there. :)

Now, before i delete this file. WHAT am i deleting? Because if I lose any information I'm pretty screwed.

6. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Good for you! Just checking. ;)
    normal.dot is the default document template file for MS Word. I'm guessing Bored was thinking that you have Word set up as your default mail editor, hence the suggestion. Unless you've got Word heavily customized, it's safe to delete. Just to be safe, copy it to another folder first. When you delete it, Word will automagically re-create it next time you fire it up.

BTW, what version of OE are you running? (Help > About MS OE)

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I've found the file INBOX.DBX to be the culprit most often. If you export your mail from the identities and find the inbox.dbx files and rename them to inbox.old, OE will create new inbox's and you can import your mail from the file you exported them to.

8. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

OUCH thats a bit harsh

anyway if none of the above work post back
    there is a registry tweak which has solved this problem many times before

9. David983es

David983es Private First Class

Here's a neat little back-up program for Outlook Express for future info:

OE Backup.

Nice little program.

10. acejones

acejones A Different Title

Wenchie,
    I've had the same problem a couple of times, and this fixed it. If you are still having problems, try this:

open Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}\InProcServer32

In the right-hand pane, double-click on the (Default) value and delete whatever is entered there, leaving it blank. Click OK. Now perform exactly the same step with the key directly underneath, namely

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}\LocalServer32

Once both (Default) values are empty, OE will open normally.

This may very well be the same reg tweak the general spoke of above. if so...great minds think alike! :D

11. General_Lee_Stoned

good call ace

i just didnt fancy typing it all in if the problem was already solved

so thanxs saved me a job :)

12. acejones

acejones A Different Title

well, i kinda cheated. since i've used this fix before, I had it already done up so I could use it again.

13. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

i dont seem to have either of those values in my registry. Now what?

14. chaslang

In YOUR opinion and maybe in your case AIM has nothing to do with it but I now have first hand knowledge for my friends case that it did. I uninstalled AIM. Problem gone. And for your info, I'm far from a novice. :mad: I just avoid crap like AIM and lots of other things because I'm too busy developing hardware and software applications. My suggestion was just a suggestion based upon info I was receiving from my friend. His problems had subsided after turning off AIM. So I just gave you a suggestion to try it too. If you had more experience in software applications you would understand that software can screw things up anywhere even when it seems that what is getting messed up should be totally related.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  15. chaslang

Okay! Hopefully we are thru with the useless negative comments. Let's get back to the problem. Not knowing your OS or how you connect to the internet or anything else, one suggestion I can give is to go to http:\\support.microsoft.com and select the Knowledge Base. Choose Product: Outlook and search for 'slow'. There are 96 matches. Maybe something there will help. (That is assuming you have not already tried this.)

16. General_Lee_Stoned

i think if youve tried all the options and the registry fix is not an option you may be better off re-installing outlook express after backing up your data read here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188854&Product=oex
    or following the link posted by David983es earlier in the thread

to re-install outlook express
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];318378
    scroll down for method 2 to install OEonly

only problem is you will then have to re-install any windows updates relating to OE which may have caused this problem in the first place :rolleyes:

just on a side note did you do this posted by alanc
    Then goto View Menu > Layout and remove the check mark for "Contacts".

17. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Well, thank you for the vote of confidence, AbbySue :) , but her comment wasn't directed at me. :p

Wenchie, seeing that the Ace/General Lee registry tweak didn't do it, I would be inclined to think that Kodo's INBOX.DBX suggestion would be the next thing to try.

If that doesn't work, then I came across this tip to run

"SFC /SCANNOW" (without quotes) from a command prompt. Have your XP CD ready, it will replace any corrupted system files.

We'll get it! :)

18. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  19. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

well, i apologise. I didnt realise when I wrote it that it was as harsh as it was until the next day when everyone had already seen it. I apologise, I have over 26 hours in for 3 days of work and I'm not exactly myself.

in MY case, I run windows XP on a cable modem, use OE6 and the problem didnt start until I upgraded by windows update. I was 32 files behind... so something on install fudged it all up.

and again, i really mean it, I'm sorry.

20. chaslang

21. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

yes I did, I wasnt sure wich ones I needed

22. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Just to add to that, many (not all) of the updates can be uninstalled if necessary through Add/Remove in Control Panel.

23. BoredOutOfMyMind

Did you get it working?

24. BoredOutOfMyMind

Another way to phrase-

Did you get it working? :rolleyes:

25. General_Lee_Stoned

just saw this thanx Alan man i was so engrossed in getting the right page for re-installing i just read the headline for the back-up didnt think it might be for a different version good job someones on the ball :)

btw alan ive only just twigged your avatar-- location combo nice floyd roxs :D

26. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The most common fault when OE starts to load slow is when Messenger is removed, which as you say above you have done ( what method did you use BTW? ) and the two registry values as posted earlier need to have the default data removed only.

just to get myself clear on this is it that the data inside those keys are not their or the actual values inside........

key names InProcServer32 & LocalServer32 the value data inside would have been a path to msmsgs.

one other thing even with those values deleted it still may run slow another registry hack can help especially if you use the contacts pane view and have disabled messenger........

run Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Add a New, DWord value called Hide Messenger and set the value to 2.

27. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I went through the suggestions (all of them) one at a time. No go.

Heres what I installed:
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 DirectX 9.0b End-User Runtime
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003. Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Windows MovieMaker 2
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Windows Messenger 4.7 Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Q322011: Recommended Update
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 814995: Recommended Update Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Recommended Update for Windows XP SP1 (817778) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 820291: Recommended Update (Windows XP) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Windows Error Reporting: Recommended Update (Windows XP) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Recommended Update for Windows XP SP1 (KB822603) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Update for Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 (KB829558) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826942) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Update for Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands (KB828026) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Windows XP (KB810217) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000, Windows XP) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Flaw In Windows Media Player May Allow Media Library Access (819639) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Microsoft Windows (819696) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Windows XP (KB824146) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB824141) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB823182) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB824105) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826939) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB825119) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB828035) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (KB832483) Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 330994: April 2003, Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 813951: Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Web site
    Successful Monday, February 02, 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB832894) Web site
    Successful Friday, February 07, 2003 810577: Security Update
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Friday, February 07, 2003 811630: Critical Update (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Friday, February 07, 2003 810847: February 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Windows Media Player 9 Series
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q327405: Recommended Update (Windows XP Home Edition)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 327979: Recommended Update
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q810243: DirectShow playback support for Windows XP Media Center Edition recorded files
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q329048: Security Update
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q323255: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q329115: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q329834: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 810565: Critical Update
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q329390: Security Update
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 329170: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q328310: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 810030: Microsoft VM Security Update
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 810833: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Read more... Web site
    Successful Monday, January 27, 2003 Q324929: December 2002, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    Read more...

28. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I think I might go ahead an uninstall it tonight when I have some time.

29. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Ok, so what are these programs? this list seems to get longer and I have no idea... are they safely removed? Because I'm trying to clear out as much junk as possible.

I also found an OE update that i downloaded which seemed to have no information at all, so perhaps it was corrupt and thats my whole problem. I uninstalled it, and I'll let you know if it made a difference or not.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
  30. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

ok, removing the compnant didnt work. Every tiem i readd it it's exactly the same, it's reloading my settings from somewhere and readding them. I search express and deleted the files that were left after removal, and then readded... no dice.

How do I flippin' delete it?

31. BoredOutOfMyMind

sort by date since the changes happenned recenty.

32. chaslang

Wenchie, you can get info on each of those Hotfix packages at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;KBJUMP

then just enter the hotfix package number. For example, entering your first item, wm828026 into the search box and clicking the arrow tells you this particular update was for: Update for Windows Media Player URL Script Command Behavior. Do the same for the other "KB" hotfixes

These articles usually also provide removal info. But as stated by BoredOutOfMyMind, sort by date first to check the ones you most recently added.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  33. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I still need to knwo how to completely and utterly uninstall outlook express. "remove windows componants" does nothing at all.

34. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Dont make me sift through this whole thread ;)
    What OS are you using?

Windows XP generally does not let you uninstall Outlook Express or IE.

There are third party programs that can help most likely.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2004
  35. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

it is XP. F00kers. someone come over and fix it for me, damnit!!!!

36. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You have to buy the plane ticket, first class of course.

And dinner is on you :D

I have no idea if this program can be used without reinstalling Windows, but:

http://www.litepc.com/

37. BoredOutOfMyMind

Could format the drive....nah that is too drastic

38. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nice catch Star, but I do add one warning:

I've had calls transferred to us from Outlook Express support wher they fubared the OS doing this same procedure.

I have no idea if it was the article or the idiot techs, I was never curious enough to find out.

39. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I could try that star.. thanks! I'll try it after the bambini goes to bed.

40. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

41. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I give up, someone PLEASE come fix it??? *pout*

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      39.5 KB
      Views:
  42. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What in the WORLD are you doing? LOL

That error shouldn't be in conjunction with your problem. I know what causes it btw.

Edit: nevermind, must be following method 1.

Im still waiting for the plane ticket :p

When alanc said reinstall, he meant follow this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318378

Edit: Specifically method 2, I do believe.

43. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

i did and it told me i needed the disk and then it wanted to do that and then it went *pft* and stuck it's tongue out at me.

44. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Check my edits and post :p

45. General_Lee_Stoned

not being funny i posted this on page 1 of this thread suggesting method 2 :p

Andraylyne im thinking it would be best for you to stump up for that plane ticket yourself im sure the wife wont mind ;) :D

46. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

ROFL :D :D

47. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

and yet, it still doesnt work.. damnit. microsoft has to make everything so easy they end up making EVERYTHING complicated.

48. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Someone come over and fix it or I'm gonna cry *pouty face* theres like.. 6 of you who are local, someone come be heroic or some junk...

49. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Would if I could.

But something about being on the other side of the US makes it somewhat hard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds