Boardwalk empire poisoning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rikky, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

This contains spoilers if your not up to season 4 episode 5 which is one of the best episodes in recent memory.

Poisonings, guys flying through windows, exploding guns, Al Capone firing a 100 box magazine from a Tommy guns while laughing. In the story Willie Thompson plays a prank of one of hiss classmates to give him diarrhoea. He picks Magnesium Hydroxide known as milk of magnesia a common remedy available over the counter as a laxative and linoleic acid which I'v vaguely heard of, used in the food and beauty industry.

Both were mixed together and added to an alcoholic drink but what I don't know is why the prank killed the kid? As a clue he did get diarrhoea but also died coughing up his own blood in the morning of the next day.

I'm not good enough at chemistry to understand the products of this reaction but on the surface both chemicals appear harmless, I'm guessing this should be assumed as poetic license as they can hardly show people how to poison people with over the counter chemicals, or can they?

The alcohol they use has also been watered down but I'm not sure what with, if methanol has been added to increase the proof of the hooch or moonshine this could also add another spanner in the works but I can't confirm it has, it's stated to only be "Watered Down."

Any help appreciated but I doubt anyone is interested:-D

Magnesium Sulphate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid

Linoleic acid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

No offense, but I am happy I have no clue what you are talking about. No TV for me.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Well, I know one thing: it ain't a "spanner" - it's a "wrench"...rolleyes

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Just want to know what the kid died from to make sense of the show :confused And if drinking Milk of magnesia 'magnesium hydroxide' and linoleic acid, linoleic acid BTW is found naturally in things like sunflower oil which can contain up to 65%.

I'm sure I've missed a clue in the plot and was hoping someone could fill me in as I'm almost certain now those two compounds are perfectly safe.

So I guess this is a Boardwalk empire fan question really rather than science.

If you haven't seen boardwalk empire Fred your obviously spending too much time living life.:)

Caliban do I sense a little sarcasm?:-D This stuff is important to the human race lol.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds