Can I install Windows XP Professional on top of XP Home?

Discussion in 'Software' started by StratMan23, Dec 11, 2004.

1. StratMan23

StratMan23 Private E-2

That's all I need to know really, can I install the pro version of windows xp over the existing home edition?

Thanks, Randy

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes you can do an in-place install of Pro over Home, you cannot go the other way around tho.

I would personally, save all your important data and do a clean install of XP Pro, remember to also have SP2 installed before going online.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

An easy way to have SP2 is to "slipstream" SP2 with your XP using nLite This way when you want to reinstall, you'll have SP2 installed automatically and it will take way less time.

4. cloudrider

cloudrider Private E-2

??????????
    I have XP Pro loaded and want to reinstall Home edition. The XP Pro was a "bootleg" from a friend that I initally installed when I got my new PC (Dell). The Home edition came with it but I never installed it. I still have the backup CD that came with the unit. I want to go back to a "legal" version and I've found that Pro isn't necessary for my work. What can I do to get back to a "legal" status???

Thanks

First time using this site. You just happened to be in a thread on this topic.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sadly you cannot install XP Home over the top of XP Pro, what you will have to do is to backup all your important data etc etc and format and clean install XP Home.

The backup CD is this a branded XP Disk or is it marked "Recovery disk"?

I have used Dells in the past but never used the recovery CDs... they should auto run and install ther OS and any associated software that would be Pre-installed on the shipped Dell machine, this software can be uninstalled later, but the process if its like any of the other recovery cds I have used in the past will erase all the data from your hard drive so you are starting afresh... so backup of all your important data and copys of downloads, settings and the SP2 service pack are advisable before re-installing.

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Oh and another thing:

Even though its possible to put Pro over Home, I wouldn't advise it as upgrade problems are much more common than clean install problems. For any OS re-installation I'd do a clean format where possible :)

7. StratMan23

StratMan23 Private E-2

Thanks everyone for you help, I think I'll do the clean install....when I have time : )

StratMan23

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds