Java and the Add/Remove Programs control panel

Discussion in 'Software' started by pamster, Mar 20, 2007.

1. pamster

pamster Private E-2

Well, I'm trying to clean up my computer for lack of disk space - and I've come upon an interesting predicament.

When I access my Add/Remove Programs panel, there are 4 listings for Java. They are:
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2 Size 117.MB
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4 Size 118 MB
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6 Size 119 MB
    Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2 Size 61.66

Then, I saw here, that there's an even newer update... and in that thread it says to remove previous versions before installing. So, I figured I'd remove all 4 of these, and start over with the newest version. Thing is, my stupid computer won't Remove them. When I click on the remove button, they each prepare to uninstall, then give me a message that I already have it, and to remove it using add/remove before trying to reinstall. Well, duh, isn't that what I'm trying to do?

The last one listed wants the original product, and links to a website. I can't find the original version on my computer. (I really hate programs that need their original media in order to uninstall - what's the point of THAT? )

And is java really taking up almost 500 MB of my little hard drive?

Anyway, can someone help me get rid of these programs.

Oh, I'm Windows XP, Home Edition, SP 2.
    Dell Pentium 4, 2.66GHz
    2.50 GB of RAM

Thanks,

Pam

2. pamster

pamster Private E-2

Thanks for the response.

Does the windows installer cleanup actually remove the programs from your computer - or just remove them from the Add/Remove panel? Will I need to do additional cleanup? Remove the Java folders, clean up the registry, etc.?

Thanks,

Pam

3. pamster

pamster Private E-2

Didn't seem to remove the programs from the computer - I removed them manually. Cleaned up the registry, and then reinstalled. Seems to be working OK. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds