My laptop screen is blank after logon?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guapa, Oct 25, 2010.

1. guapa

guapa Private E-2

Normally, the desktop appears after logon but it isn't, it's blank. I can still access all files via Task Manager but can someone helps with the restoration to normal?? My laptop runs on Windows XP & I got the system recovery CD + software CDs. If I need to use one of these CDs, please give me the detailed instructions on how & which files to run. Thanks for any help given.

Someone asked me to go to task manager, on the 'Applications' tab, click 'new task' option and type in explorer.exe. No luck with error message of no access.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, guapa.

We need to know the make and model #, service tag #, etc.

Couple of quick questions: do you have the same symptoms in Safe Mode? Can you boot to a disk?

Most importantly, are you sure the machine is clean? There are some malware symptoms similar to yours.

3. guapa

guapa Private E-2

My laptop is Samsung X05. What's service tag???

Sorry but how to be in Safe Mode? What do you mean by 'Can you boot to a disk'?

My laptop should be clean as I have installed avast!

Thanks

4. Caliban

We need a valid model # - click here to find your model #.

Safe Mode can be accessed by pressing the F8 function key when you turn on the machine, but before Windows loads.

'Boot to a disk' means exactly that - with a bootable disk (Windows disk, recovery disks, Linux disks) in the CD/DVD drive, the system should boot to that disk, if the BIOS boot order is set to 'CD first'.

And, just because you have avast! installed does not necessarily mean that your machine is clean of malware.

5. guapa

guapa Private E-2

The model # NX05PRT000/SHK

Yes, I can access Safe Mode.

Thanks

6. Caliban

Ok - do the symptoms change while in Safe Mode?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds