Deleting File takes a long time

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dstruve, May 19, 2005.

1. Dstruve

Dstruve Private E-2

The first file to get deleted in the day takes a long time as the file deleting dialog just hangs there, even after the file is deleted. then after that, files seem to delete normally. any ideas? btw, XP Pro.

2. Deacon

Deacon Private E-2

I have had similar problems on two computers. One with Win2K & one with XPPro. I can't be sure exactly how I got rid of the problem but I think it may have been a combination of two problems:
    1. Norton System Works.
    The unerase protection seems to have something to do with it. It tracks your file deletions and has to update a database (it's a real memory hog). I completely disabled Norton because it really sucks. It's practically impossible to delete Norton entirely so it's better to just disable it. To do so, go to Admin Tools in Control Panel and select the Services tool. Stop all of the Norton functions & set them to manually start or just disable them. A better antivirus app is AVG (IMHO). It's free & far less troublesome than Norton.

2. Windows Indexing Service.
    Once I disabled it, a lot of my troubles went away. I was having a lot of problems with Windows Explorer hanging for no apparent reason but lately it's ok. To disable the Indexing service in Windows Explorer & right click the drive (C:\, D:\, etc.) and go to properties. At the bottom you will find the check box for Indexing Service. If it is checked, unceheck it & when prompted, allow it to change the attributes of the files & directories.
    Hope something here is of use to you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds