Virtual memory running low

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anabel, Apr 13, 2006.

1. anabel

anabel Private E-2

Hello, I am getting messages that my virtual memory is running low and Window is increasing size of paging file. Here are my computer stats:

Dell Dimension 2400, bought 2004
    128MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz
    Windows XP
    Memory used: 7.34 GB
    memory free 29.8 GB
    File system NTFS
    VM paging file size for all drives 216 MB
    Recently defragged
    temp files deleted
    C drive compressed

AVG virus software runs everyday, computer clean

No major software, just the basics, Office suite 2003, adobe, macromedia, etc.
    I have had a lot of problems with my HP printer, that may be unrelated, but since I installed the HP software my computer has been running slow and I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times.

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

i'd double the ram memory from 128 to 256 or on up to 512.

128 is not near enough memory.

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Yep, your asking alot of your machine with only 128 Meg. You could increase your page file size but that would be a temp fix and probably why it seems slow (always accessing the hard drive, thats where the page file is). What do you have for a CPU?

4. anabel

anabel Private E-2

I have an Intel Pentium 4 if that's what you mean. I guess I don't understand this issue of actual memory vs. virtual memory. How is it possible that I'm only using 1/4 of my real memory that that is too much for my computer? Can you explain how this works?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Try changing your VM ( Virtual Memory is the same as the Page File, its used when there is not enough real memory as in RAM to run your software or applications ) to a larger figure, I would adjust it to 512mb as the applications you are using in Office, Adobe ( dont know which app but can guess at either Acrobat or Photoshop ) and Macromedia all use substantial amounts of memory to run.

as to only using a 1/4 of real ram then the OS will be deciding that with the applications being used that VM is a much wiser choice over RAM as if all your ram is used up your PC will most likely grind to a halt as RAM is need for the OS to operate, with all the little services/apps running etc

to do this on XP

Right Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > in the Performance Box click Settings > then Advanced > Change and put 512 in Min and 1024 in max > apply.

also that warning is indicative of running too many applications at once for the amount of ram you have, check your startups and remove the once you dont really need to run at bootup.

a nice guide and explanation to the Virtual Memory
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

6. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I think you are confusing Hard Drive Space in your original post...
    Memory used: 7.34 GB
    memory free 29.8 GB

That would be "Used and Free" Hard Drive Space.

Your machine only has 128 Megs of Physical Memory 128MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (your first post). Halo's links explain Virtual Memory, but its basically Hard Drive space used to compensate for a lack of physical memory.

7. anabel

anabel Private E-2

I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy new memory. I have a Dell, is any memory card compatible? Can you give me a recommendation?

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Anabel did you try and adjust the VM memory size as I outligned earlier? it may help a small bit until you can add more memory, which is the better oprion as XP does really need a min of 512mb to operate properly.

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Anabell, just to put you in the picture, my laptop has 1 gigabyte of RAM (1024mbytes) and with all my stuff loaded at startup and logged onto MajorGeeks, the laptop is using around 320 megabytes of RAM just to run, leaving 677 megs free.

I would recommend that you buy the largest capacity RAM 'sticks' you can afford. For example buy a single 256 or 512 or 1024, whatever your purse and Dell can use.

The benefits of this is if you decide to expand later, again, it will be less costly in the long run. For example my laptop originally was fitted with 2 x 256 sticks = 512megs. Only room for 2 sticks in my laptop. I got the seller to pull out the 2 x 256 and fit 1 x 1024 to double the memory and still have 1 slot free. Max that can be fitted to my laptop is 2 x 2048 to equal 4 gigs. If I want to expand I can still add 1 x 1024 or 1 x 2048 for 2gigs, or 3 gigs, without throwing the old RAM away. Hope this makes sense. Bazza

===

11. anabel

anabel Private E-2

Thank you for all your help and the websites. I now know what I'm looking for and all the important details of buying the right kind of memory and I bought 512 MB. I just hope my computer holds out til it gets here.

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Keep us informed on how you go. Bazza

===

13. Tomsky

Tomsky Private E-2

just get more R.A.M ,that whats needed and average computer should have atleast 512mb in my opinion !

P.S-You should see a big difernece with the upgrade from 128mb to 512mb :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds