Desperate! Need help please!

Discussion in 'Software' started by WolfeMacleod, May 9, 2003.

1. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod Private E-2

Greeting folks, this is my first post here. A friend suggested I bring up this problem here, since it's a doozy.
    I went to check Email about an hour ago. Immediately upon clicking the Outlook Express Icon, my system shut down. I got it back up again, only to find that all of my very important Email is gone....:(
    The .dbx file is still there...several hundred megs in size, but the folder within OE is not. I tried re-importing the email from that file, but it didn't work...out of several thousand emails, only about 30 were saved.
    I also tried importing to Netscape Mail, but it didn't work...
    The file for that specific folder seems to be corrupted or something. Every other folder exept for this one is fine...and this is the most important folder I have...it's business stuff.
    Does anyone know a program that cvan repair a corrupted .dbx file?
    I need this email back badly...if anyone has any good advice, I will be eternally grateful.
    And yes, I do back up...but it's been a few weeks....it figures that this would happen today, when I was just thinking I should backup again

Thanks
    Wolfe Macleod

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

3. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod Private E-2

Snakefoot, thanks. I'll give that a try.
    I was able to import some email into "The Bat" Email client, but alas, it seems my system has eaten anything even remotely recent. By this, I mean I'm missing several thousand emails from the past 2 months or so.
    Now I notice the size of the .dbx file is much smaller than it was before....so I'm left wondering, where did the other 600mb or so go?
    Dang:(

WOlfe

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Know this is too late but when doing recovery/repair then it is always a good idea to make a backup first of the broken item. The repair tools are seldom succesful the first time trying. (Have learned my own lesson by trying to repair movie files without making a backup first)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds