Multimedia Audio Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by netsurfer, May 18, 2007.

1. netsurfer

netsurfer Private First Class

I just finished re-installing Windows, and I'm trying to install drivers for the integrated sound card.

I did some research and found that I need the Realtek AC'97 drivers. However, during installation my computer restarts when it is almost completed. I re-tried the installation in safe mode; the drivers installed properly but my computer failed to start so I had to revert to "Most Recent Settings that Worked".

Any ideas?

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Go to devices, and click your sound , and then driver, then uninstall driver.
    Shut down, and restart , and Windows should find your sound, and reallocate a generic driver.

Have you tried this version, there are many instances of crashes, and problems with ac97 drivers.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_AC97_Drivers_d4400.html

Check for crash report by right clicking My Computer, manage, Events, applications, and double click the exclamation marks, and see if it gives information of shutdown.

3. netsurfer

Those are the drivers I downloaded & installed.

My computer restarts a few seconds after I get the "Found New Hardware" popup in the bottom right.

4. netsurfer

I finally installed the Realtek drivers, however I get the dreaded BSOD when I have my sound card enabled.

I'm currently running in safe mode, which seems to be the only way my computer will function properly.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. netsurfer

I cannot check the crash reports, I get the following error message:

Unable to complete the operation on "Application".
    The interface is unknown.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry, did you right click My Computer ?- I meant to add that.
    and the application should show up in right pane

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Right click My Computer, left click manage,
    On the box that opens left click the Events , then in right hand pane DOUBLE click Application, then double click any yellow exclamations, and read the wording on that little box.
    CLICK O.K to close that box, and close all when complete.

9. netsurfer

I said before, when I double click Application, I get this error message:

Unable to complete the operation on "Application".
    The interface is unknown.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Which operating system ARE YOU USING XP /ME ...?
    Can you post specs .

11. netsurfer

I'm running XP.

Are there any specific specs you need for this computer?

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I was just making sure, glad to see you did it correctly, but being unable to find applications could be because you are in safe mode.
    Ishould have asked if you had installed the motherboard drivers - because it would find on board sound generic drivers, if they were not with your motherboard drivers.
    If you have not got those, go to your motherboard site, and download them.
    SAs you are having so much trouble with the realtec updated drivers, I would uninstall them, from add and remove programs, before going any further.
    I will look in again tommorrow.

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you got XP SP1, OR, IS IT THE FULL VERSION WITH XP2.
    The onboard sound is usually on the motherboard disk, that is why I suggeste downloading, in case you had not got it.
    An updated version of AC97, can be a little bit of a pain, as some motherboard chipsets, don't like the latest ones.
    Your motherboard site is the best place to start for any drivers, or updates.
    Then if you have problems, I use www.driveragent.com to check , and download for my systems- you can have a scan for free, then look around for the update listed, if you do not want to join.

14. netsurfer

I completely forgot to post again.

Short story, I got my sound to work.

I went to my mobo site and downloaded the latest driver. This driver didn't work at first and all the sounds had a delay of about 3 seconds before the played. I went to the device manager and tried to roll back the driver, and it worked (which surprised me as I had never created a backup of a previous driver). Then I restarted my computer and re-installed the latest driver, and everything is working!

thanks for the help.

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Pleased to know you have sound , now. The roll back is the generic (Windows ) ONE , that did not install properly, before. By updating from your motherboard manufacturers updates, it somehow made it find the older driver- Queer doings, sometimes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds