Blank icons appearing everywhere after changing permissions!

Discussion in 'Software' started by pervnerve, Mar 18, 2009.

1. pervnerve

pervnerve Private First Class

This is one that server admins might know how to fix.

Pretty much any program located in Program Files has a blank icon for its shortcut in the start menu now. This is Office Ultimate:

[​IMG]

I've seen similar threads on this, but there's something I did that probably caused it. I wanted to set user permissions so that my friends weren't accessing certain folders when they came to visit/log in. In order to do this, I had to remove the "EVERYONE" group and just had myself (admin) listed in each of the drives. When I realized that certain programs and services couldn't function, I figured out that "SYSTEM" also needed Full Control over each drive.:-o

However, even though I have everything set up, all my icons have been disappearing. Weirder still, when I try to "Change Icon" from shortcut properties, I get this error before the Choose Icon dialog opens:

[​IMG]

I think it's different for each program. This one was when I tried to change the icon for VMware Workstation. Clicking OK allows me to temporarily fix the issue.

The biggest problem is, for programs like the Office Suite, "Change Icon" is grayed-out, since the shortcut is specialized.rolleyes

Please help! Thank you!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds