Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamesfg, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jamesfg

jamesfg Private E-2

Hi,

Is Acronis True Image a good, reliable program to backup my Windows XP (in preparation to make the change to Windows 7) or to clone my harddrive? Thank you for any input you can give me. Happy Holidays.

2. jeepdriver

jeepdriver Private E-2

My experience with Acronis True Image Home 2009: backed up my data from an XP Pro machine to external drive, backup showed it was successful and I could access my info on the drive. Made the move to Win 7, installed Acronis on the Win 7 install and when I tried to restore, Acronis said the backup was corrupt. Currently in the process of troubleshooting the problem.

3. jamesfg

jamesfg Private E-2

Thanks Jeepdriver. I hope you get the problem worked out. I will monitor this thread, and I hope that if you get the problem resolved, you will post its resolution here.

Have a good Holiday Season and New Year.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have used v7, v8, and 2009 to restore several computers.
    I always verify my image immediately after I create one.

As a matter of fact, I was in the process of restoring a notebook from an external hard drive when the electricity cut off for a few seconds. The laptop stayed powered up but the external hd went off and that killed the restore. I booted the laptop and all I got was starting DOS and a black screen.
    I thought about this for a few days and decided to try a restore again because the notebook as it was, was useless. It worked and the notebook is back to the way it was.
    I was scared because when I went to restore, it did not see the C drive. It said it would restore to E. Apparently the internal CD drive was given the letter C and the external was given the letter D so the internal hd, which was for all intents blank, got the letter E. When I rebooted, the internal hd was again called C and the internal optical drive D. ;)

Note: I do not run Window 7 nor Vista so I can't comment how well or poor it runs on those OSes. My experience has been with windows 2000 and XP.

5. jamesfg

jamesfg Private E-2

Thanks, Plodr. From what you and others have written, Acronis True Image is a good program. :)

6. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

ATI is a very good program, but the issue is restoring a backup made with xp to restore using Win 7.
    I would google Acronis, find their website and ask them specifically if this will work.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I use Acronis all the time but doing a clone of your XP install is not really going to help in a transfer to Win7 as a clone will only restore your XP back, what you need to use is Windows Easy Transfer to backup docs and settings. The apps you will have to retinstall as Win7 has different folder and registry structure to XP

you could use Acronis to just do a backup of your docs to restore once Win7 is installed but Easy Transfer is easier and is what I normally use.

As for the corrupted image file try booting to the Acronis startup disk and navigating to the media you saved this data too or copy the image file off the media or external onto the C: drive and trging also run Acronis as admin (right click the Acronis shortcut and Run as administrator)

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I too use Acronis version 8, 10 and 11 without problems on 2000 and XP.

But, has anyone used Acronis 10 or 11 to clone a Windows 2003 server with Active Directory and Exchange 2003? I'm curious because Acronis sells a Server product for around $500 and I can't help but wonder what the difference could be in the cloning process between the Workstation and Server versions.

Any thoughts?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds