Cart before the horse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kyridgerunner, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Kyridgerunner

Kyridgerunner Private E-2

My wife bought me a LG dvd-/+ burner for Christmas and according to the book that came with it, it requires a P4 2.8 processor or higher to work properly. I am running a HP 1ghz advent and of course that won't cut it. I am wanting to update anyway but I am not sure what cpu and ram to get. I've others to tell me go intel but I kind of want to stick with AMD. Can anyone suggest what to upgrade to. Money is a factor when you don't have much. Any help will be greatful.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I would recommend AMD as they're alot cheaper and run better. Only go with Intel if you're running a business with servers etc.
    AMD are great for games, although they may not meet the required 2.8ghz the dvd burner will still work with an athlon 3000+, lets say, because with an amd xp 3000+ which is about 2.2ghz compared with an intel celeron 2.8ghz, the athlon would win any day!
    Also, try a well known brand name, like Kingston I was told to buy a few days ago.

3. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

I have a lg dvd burner running on my p4 1.6 and it works fine. If your doing video editing you need horsepower but for the general stuff my works fine, backing up movies etc....as you can tell by my sig I am a amd fan all the way!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds