Home network problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prophets21, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

I am trying to move some files from my PC to a laptop using the LAN. I ran the home network setup wizard on both computers but I have a problem.

The Laptop cannot access any documents on the PC, it gives me an error that says: "\\nameofpc\documents\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to see if you have access permissions."

I am logged in as an admin on both computers. The laptop is a 2.5ghz intel celeron, 256mb ram, broadcom 440x 10/100 ethernet card, windows xp home SP2. PC is 3.0ghz pentium 4, 2gb ram, marvell yukon 10/100 ethernet adapter, windows xp home SP2.

Thanks for your time and help.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I had a similar problem fairly recently... we solved it by making sure that the guest account was on for both computers, and that there were no password requirements in the local security policy.
    If you're just trying to transfer files, and you're not too worried about security, I would simply share the root of the drives. That's likely the easiest way...

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Have you enabled the files to be shared? Right Click/Properties/Sharing and check the appropriate box.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

enabling the guest account is a very bad idea.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please elaborate. Not to antagonize, I just wanna learn.
    I agree, but am failing to see the harm if the network is temporary, and strictly for the purpose of transferring files. If the PCs are disconnected from the internet, who is going to use the guest account?

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

If the PC's are not connected to the "outside" and is isolated then there is no immediate problem. In general, enabling it is very bad. However, you didn't mention that this was your situation. That is why I responded so bluntly.

7. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

If you are running a firewall, like Zone Alarm, shut it down and then try to access it.

-Steve

8. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Yes it's shared and I can see files on the laptop using my PC but not the other way.

How would enabling guest accounts help? :eek: :(

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You're likely best not to enable it as Kodo said. If you are on the internet, someone could use it for malicious purposes. What I said did represent a fairly large security no-no, but I had made the mistake of assuming you were attempting this with a crossover cable, and no internet connection.

Enabling the guest account would let a remote computer (say your laptop) browse resources on the host computer (desktop) while the admin is logged in.
    Try this without the guest account: right click on the folderr containing the files you wish to tranfer. Click sharing and security. Check the box that says "share this file on the network" and give it a share name. Open My network places on the other computer. The folder you shared should be listed there.

10. todd333

todd333 Private E-2

Everybody always forgets the sp2 firewall,its turned on by default on every sp2 machine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds