run skype from a separate OS, can skype be safer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ebbe, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ebbe

ebbe Private E-2

Hello everyone,
    I need to use skype and leave no trace of it on my PC. That is, I want my new skype account to have no actual info on me. I got tails 0.17, but as far as I understand they don't support skype. Now, I am trying to do my best with True Crypt to create a boot disc and have my skype there, but it's beyond me, I fail to understand 50% of the information. I suppose, placing skype in an encrypted volume is no good?
    Any suggestions, please?
    sorry if I sound dumb, but I really am a desperate dummy.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

To add to the above suggestion, you could place the Skype Portable version inside a Truecrypt encrypted volume (and in order for Truecrypt volumes to be actually SECURE, you need at least a 26 character password for the volume... so yeah, write it down) and run it from there.

I don't suppose you want to share why you're trying to be so secretive with Skype?

4. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Tails does come with Pidgin on the live CD, if Pidgin is an option for you...

5. ebbe

ebbe Private E-2

Let me get this right. I download a portable skype, create a true crypt volume on a memory stick and run skype from a tc encrypted volume on memory stick? I guess I could do that.

I don't mind sharing, I guess no one really cares. my ex-bf is a computer geek, and a psychopath. we parted more than a year ago, I moved to a different city. He's hacked all there was - emails, skype, was listening to my phone conversations.it's a stinky mess.

Thank you for the advice.

6. ebbe

ebbe Private E-2

but isn't Pidgin for chat only? I need to make phone calls.
    Thanks anyway))

7. ebbe

ebbe Private E-2

Thank you!
    I wonder if I can use portable skype from a memory stick when I'm booted from a tails disc... or would it make any difference?

8. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Phone calls, eh? OK, to call landlines or cellphones incurs a charge using Skype. You didn't mention phone calls at the start...

9. ebbe

ebbe Private E-2

I thought about Pidgin, but it would require the other part have tails and pidgin, and that's too complicated for them. I know what you're thinking, and it's not that.
    thanks and sorry to bother.

10. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

The Truecrypt volume can be either on a memory stick, or on the computer's hard drive... it makes no difference. And yes, you'd keep the Skype portable version in the Truecrypt volume, and run it from there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds