system BSoD after BIOS Configuration

Discussion in 'Software' started by Malkavian, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Malkavian

Malkavian Private E-2

hello, i have had odd errors with my computer before, but managed to solved them, but i have no experience with BIOS and startup in general. My system spec. is:
    AMD athlon xp 2700
    1GB DDR RAM (2x512mb pc2700 333mhz)
    ATI Radeon 9200
    Motherboard is something like MSI MS-6734 KM4M

Recently i had problems with the RAM but managed to get it sorted by buying a new chip, but now when i try to change settings in the BIOS i get errors when it trys to boot afterwards. i have an onboard LAN card in this motherboard and when i go into BIOS to activate it, when it tries to boot i get BSoD's which aren't very specific, under technical information it'll say something about ACPI.sys or Ntfs.sys
    Am really confused as this is a very new problem with this computer like the day after i fixed the RAM problem
    only other thing wrong with the computer is sometimes i'll have a pop-up on desktop saying
    'windows - no disk'
    'please insert disk in drive'
    that's all it says, after scanning with spybot i get results, and upon deleting them, i no longer get the pop-up, till the items that appear in spybot appear again, which i find after scanning again when the pop-up starts appearing again.
    I really hope you can help me out with this problem
    thanks in advance for any help available

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

For the BIOS thing, try going into your BIOS and look for something that says "reset extended system configuration data" or "reset ESCD" or "reset ACPI data". If you don't find anything, toggle the "Plug and Play OS" or "PnP OS" setting (if it's no, set to yes, and vice versa). You could also try discharging your CMOS and reconfiguring the BIOS from scratch.

Not sure about popups.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Recharging the cmos would equal.....take out the battery from the motherboard, wait 30 mins, then put the battery back in, then turn on the computer.

4. Malkavian

Malkavian Private E-2

Thanks for your help, i managed to ge the LAN card active though it didn't go exactly to plan, i toke the battery out of the motherboard and left it for an hour, and when i put it back in i loaded the fail-safe defaults and activated the LAN card and on-board USB controllers (thought i might of needed to to use USB ports) the computer booted up ok but when it chould have been loading the desktop it just had a black screen
    so i reset the ESCD and loaded failsafe defaults again activated LAN card but didn't do the USB controller and i got the old BSoD again, with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    so i loaded fail-safe defaults again and the only part i went into is where the LAN card settings are, and when i activated it the comp booted ok. (only prob now is an extremely long shutdown time)
    The problems only seem to happen if i look around the BIOS too much, if i look under all or most of the parts of the BIOS and then try to boot i get the BSoD. I know that sounds extremely odd but it seems to be what is happening, before i posted on here i had been looking through the parts of the BIOS for the settings i wanted, but ended up looking under most of them, after doing what you guys said i knew where they were, and only looked under 2, for the floppy drive and the LAN card, but if i want to change anything else in the BIOS, i think it may start playing up again.
    Anywayz, thanks again for your suggestions, they've allowed me to actually get somewhere with the BIOS :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds