Can't boot up - Tried all the standard solutions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leee503, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Leee503

Leee503 Private E-2

This exact thing happened to me less than 6 months ago, I can't believe it's happening again! I downloaded an install exe file from some software I purchased online (Home Design software). Once downloaded and after rebooting, the computer kept trying to read the file (the hard drive kept running and running, slowing down all the other applications)

After pushing the reset button a couple of times, I got the dreaded "missing or corrupt hal.dll message. I tried rebooting using the Windows XP install disc, a couple of times I actually got Windows running from the disc, but when I tried to reboot from the hard drive, I got the same message or the message that said, "load needed dll's for kernel" Now I can't even get Windows to install from the CD. And I don't want to format my hard drive again!!!!!!!!!

I've tried all the recommended procedures - chkdsk, bootcfg, fixboot, fixmbr.
    I have been at this ALL DAY! I'm currently running CHKDSK again. While I've been waiting for Windows to boot and restart and check the disc, I've been scouring the Internet for possible solutions.

Someone told me it sounds like a bad hard drive, but it's only a couple months old, and like I said I had this same problem a few months ago. Also when I'm in Restore mode (at the C prompt) I can access the C drive.

PLEASE!!!!! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lee

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hello Lee.. have just found this advice and copied for you....
    1. Boot from a Windows XP CD.

2. At the next screen press “R” to repair using the Recovery Console.

3. Press the number correlated with the Windows installation you want to fix. Typically this will be #1.

4. In the “Administrator password” press [ENTER] if you have not set a password for it.

5. Type:

expand x:\i386\hal.dl_ y:\windows\system32\hall.dll

where “x” is the letter of your CD-ROM and “y” the letter of the drive your operating system is installed on.

6. Take out the Windows XP CD and type exit

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds