USB TV Tuner & Dish Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NationalAcrobat, Aug 13, 2008.

1. NationalAcrobat

NationalAcrobat Private First Class

Hey all. I am considering picking up a USB tuner so I can record some of the stuff I watch onto my laptop.

I am wondering how this will work with my Dish Network DVR.

First off, is it legal to record this type of programming? Do I have to worry about Dish Network finding out I am recording thier programming??

What type of format will I be able to record the video in? Will I be able to view the video using WMP? Will I be able make back up discs of the video?

Connection/Quality

Will I be connecting the tuner to my TV or to the DVR box? Can I get high quality video out of this?

I am going to study the subject considerably before investing in a tuner. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

That is what TV tuners usually do.. make the PC a DVR. As far as formats, depends on the software & its options. WMP will play most formats as long as the codec is installed - so yes again. And no, the dish company will not know a thing.. just like a VCR they'd have no clue what your recording. On a real DVR (settop box) they supposedly can tell (remember Janet's wardrobe malfunction was the most watched Tivo'd thing years ago)
    Just make sure the tuner has the ability to decode your dish network.

3. NationalAcrobat

I appreciate the advice foogoo.

Do you know if there is loss of quality when you record this way?

Do you know what type of file the video will record as? (Or is that adjustable?)

4. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

The Fair Use Doctrine (Google that term) has provisions for the recording of programs for personal use. Should be no problem with recording shows as long as you do not sell, give, lend, rent, or otherwise distribute them in any way.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

It depends on the software that usually comes with the tuner. So you maybe able to save the video in some uncompressed format for better quality (and huge file size) or pick a good quality codec, etc.
    You may want to visit videohelp.com for more info.

6. NationalAcrobat

Thanks for the help. You guys are awesome!

7. seair

seair Private E-2

Also, you can record it directly from your tv(TV out) instead. This is the easier way if you ever want to record from any other devices you have connected to your tv.(disk player, vcr, or even a camera). Quality does depend on the software. Some give you the option to record at 5mbs as opposed to 3 or 4.
    Keep in mind, everything is going HD. You might look for an HD tuner instead.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds