reloading old computer with new OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by ganderle, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ganderle

ganderle Private E-2

I picked up an old pentium III computer that was obsolete and was part of a novell network with the previous owner. I have a password to have user access but not an administrator password so I am very restricted. I would like to reload a new operating system and start clean with this computer, however, because of the restrictions placed on it, I can not access the system tools to change the boot order so I can reload a new operating system. Any suggestions on how to bypass the old user restrictions?

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

did you try to change the boot order in the BIOS?

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If you have the disks for the new OS, just pull the hard drive, reformat as slave in another machine, reinsert in your machine and go with it.
    And Welcome to Major Geeks.

4. LCIcontroller

LCIcontroller Private E-2

Also check the minimum requirements for the OS. Some older machines may be able to run later OS due to CPU speed and/or RAM on board.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have an old IBM with a P3( 733MHz ) and 526MB of RAM tha runs XP Home SP2 just fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds