Windows 7 fail upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nuk, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Nuk

Nuk Private E-2

I'm an intermediate computer user and I just upgraded to windows 7 from windows vista (64).

During the installation of Windows 7 it didn't work the first time and said it restored my old OS.

I tried again and it actually finished installing. But except now my computer only works in safe mode. If I try to start windows normally I get an unexpected reboot that brings me to a screen to choose how to start windows. Sometimes my desktop will load up, but then within minutes it will reboot again out of nowhere.

Can someone help me?

Also... When i first started the installation of Windows 7, there is a first CD used to update system BIOS and firmware. I walked away for a minute and came back to a screen that said my laptop was put into hibernation to protect it from over heating. I'm not sure if that part was done yet, but it definitely said not to turn off my computer while it was installing that part.

Does that have something to do with my problem now?

2. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

Did you run the Windows 7 Compatible Software first to see which hardware/software is compatible with the computer?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx

Assuming that all computers that run Vista does not mean that the computer is compatible with Win7. The majority of the time is but there are some exceptions and drivers that are not in the Win7 that might need to be installed on your computer.

3. Nuk

Nuk Private E-2

I'm not sure... but I think it did go through some sort of check to see if it was capable..
    I also get a bluescreen talking about unexspecting hardware issue

4. da.bell

Honestly, you need to find out which hardware is giving you the issues. Go into "Safe Mode with Networking".

Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management

Then go to Device Manager and see which hardware has "Yellow Triangles" next to them. That will tell you the hardware issues and point you in the right direction.

5. Nuk

Nuk Private E-2

Re: Windows 7 fail upgrgggade

Ok I will try.. I am having a hard time booting in any kind of mode now.
    The blue screen has Machine_Check_Exception

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That is typically a hardware error. Were you having any troubles in Vista prior to this?

7. Nuk

Nuk Private E-2

No not at all. It is pretty new. I just bought it in late august. (HP touchsmart tx2z) and I was sent the free upgrade to windows 7, but there has never been a problem until now.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Small world. I am using a tx2 as well.

Are you doing a clean installation, or does it give you an option to upgrade? Im using an MSDN copy of 7, so I dont have the recovery media they sent out.

9. Nuk

Nuk Private E-2

I did a upgrade... I have a feeling im going to have to back my files up and do a clean install now

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I think so, too.

Too many driver differences.

11. Nuk

Nuk Private E-2

ok i'll check back after i try that later on tonight after class

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok.

On a side note keep in mind that Windows 7 multitouch is pathetic right now. Only two touch points. Which is ok for me, because I only use the pen anyway.

13. da.bell

I'm running an HP Touchsmart Q500 at home and did a clean install. No issues but again, I didn't upgrade it either.

Let us know what happens.

14. Nuk

Nuk Private E-2

Ok I just finished the clean install. What do I do now? Can I use my applications and driver recovery cd I was given with the computer? Even though that was back when I had vista?

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No. You can download a lot of the stuff from hp.com, support and drivers, under your model number.

16. Nuk

Nuk Private E-2

Ok thanks very much. I hope this is the end to my problems. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds