distorted display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Caliph, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

hi,
    My old geForce 2 GTS (32MB) display card blew up so now i am forced to use an ATI Radeon(32 MB). After i connected this card and installed the display drivers, my dsiplay is not clear.
    At the time of starting the PC, the display is all right in proper colours. But after some time, saysome 10-25 minutes of usage, the display goes all haywire. there seems to be shade of red in the display. the whole screen has got a reddish look. Also, where the mouse cursor is, there is a small red box, aorund 1 cm x 1 cm. it looks like a red box of vertical lines.
    My eyes r paining from such use. I cannot use the PC for more than 1hr straight. :rolleyes: Please help. I xan`t even pay games.

Any help is gratefully accepted.
    Thanks.

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

This might be an incompatibility or a simple calibrating issue.

First, try degausing your monitor, than go into the display properties to see if you can make any changes there. I am pretty sure ATI has a nice program that gets installed to help with this. If all else fails, the Video card may be incompatible with your type of Mobo.

3. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

One more thing....

Update! Update Windows, check for new ATI software, etc.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

articfacts like that are typically caused by heat.. however, there are several variables here to consider. Previous burnt out video card. Color tinting to red. New card peforming irriadically. Makes me lean to a bad AGP port..

5. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

I`m beginning to think along the same lines as well. My previous GeForce 2 GTS had no other problems. The oinly problem it had, according to me, was tht it took some time for me 2 get any display. I mean,, when i switch on the PC, it boots and all, but, i get no display. The Led on the monitor just keeps on flickering. Then, after some 10-15 reboots, the monitor degausses and i get display. That was on my geforce 2 GTS.
    No such problem like tht on this ATI, but.. still another problem with the display.
    hmmmmmmmmmmm??? :rolleyes:

6. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

Ok. fine. How do i degauss my monitor? I don`t think my monitor is incompatible with my Mobo. My mobo is Asus P4G8X Deluxe. It`s relatively new. Ok maybe the card is a little old. but does tht make any difference???

7. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

sorry, .. i meant, i don`t think my video card is incompatible with my mobo. And yes,.. my windows is updated to service pack 4 and i have the latest ati display drivers downloaded from the ati website.
    My configuration is:

P4 2.4 Ghz
    Asus P4G8X Deluxe
    512 MB RAM,
    ATI Radeon 7000 Series
    40 GB HDD.

8. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

I didn't really think it would be an incompatibility either, but I have dealt with such an issue in the past. Things like that normally don't occur with new technology. I would have to agree with Kodo at this point, your AGP port may be damaged due to the former video card.

9. Caliph

Caliph Private E-2

hmmmmmm
    damaged agp port? i guess tht means i`ll have 2 go for a new mobo. rite?
    tht`s pretty rough. Anyway, thanks.

10. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Wellllllll, if you have one available, try a PCI video card, see if you get the same behavior...or try the monitor on another system...try the video card on another system... or return the card for a new one just in case it is defective. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds