Cannot assign drive letter to new DVD-RW in Win2K

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZAPPAJOE, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ZAPPAJOE

ZAPPAJOE Private E-2

I just got a new NEC ND-3520A DVD burner. I'm running Windows 2000. The bios recognizes the drive, I can even boot from a CD with it. The drive shows up in device manager. The drive also shows up in Disk Administrator but when I try to assign it a drive letter I get the error message "The operation did not complete because the partition/volume is not enabled. Please reboot the computer to enable the partition/volume." I can reboot from that point and it still won't let me assign a drive letter. The drive is enabled in Device Manager.

I have the burner connected to the system via the primary IDE on the motherboard. Both of my hard disks are connected via the primary IDE on an ATA-100 card. I have tried connecting the drive to each remaining IDE (secondary IDE on mobo, secondary IDE on ATA-100). The DVD drive is set as master. I have removed my other CD-RW drive just to simplify troubleshooting the problem.

Other system information right from my old NewEgg invoice:

CPU AMD|1800+ 1.53 ATHLONXP TBRED
    DDR 256MB|PC2700 64x32 RB S-TECH
    Motherboard ASUS A7S333 PA SIS745
    CASE DNPWR|CS-I3ASB.701(S/B) 300 RT
    VGA CHTECH|G4MX440 SDR 4X 64MB/TV R

. . . and 2 Western Digital hard drives - a 40GB and a 120GB. The 120 is the one that came with the Ultra ATA-100 Card.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer !!

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

does it appear in "My Computer"? Normally you don't manually assign drive letters

3. ZAPPAJOE

ZAPPAJOE Private E-2

Nope, it doesn't show up in My Computer because no drive letter is assigned.

4. ZAPPAJOE

ZAPPAJOE Private E-2

Solved !!

I figured out the problem. I forgot I had a funky driver loading in my startup that would assign one of my linux partitions a drive letter in Win2K so I could access the partition from Windows. It must have been causing a conflict during the assignment of drive letters. I removed the linux driver from my startup and it could see th DVD burner. I'm burning my first DVD right now !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds