Can't access yahoo mail since spyware clean up

Discussion in 'Software' started by danu_moonfire, Aug 3, 2005.

1. danu_moonfire

danu_moonfire Private E-2

Hi, I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place,but since I have cleaned up the spyware and trogans on my computer I have not been able to access my yahoo email in 3 days. I can get to where it shows the inbox with 12 messages and bulk mail but thats as far as I can get. Then I get page can not be displayed. Thanks Danu

2. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Hi Danu,

I'm going to move this to the Software Forum where you may get some better input on this problem.

PP:)

3. danu_moonfire

I ran ccleaner to empty temps, cookies and cache, and that didn't work. What should I try next? I have win 2000, IE 6 Thanks Danu

4. danu_moonfire

I have Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
    mcaffee antivirus

5. danu_moonfire

I changed my browser to firefox and still can't get yahoo mail. I have no problem getting mail on my main email account. What can the problem be? I haven't been able to get yahoo mail all week and i have asked others if they were having the same problem and they are not. Thanks Danu

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

just a very quick question and something to check for me, goto in IE Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and check to see if Use SSL2.0 and Use SSL3.0 are both ticked?

7. danu_moonfire

yes both are checked.

8. Rick_Lincoln

Rick_Lincoln Private E-2

Hi!
    I have no qualifications to try to help you and know a lot less than the guys here but when I helped (along with the spyware forum) a friend clean up spyware, it left him in a similar situation to you except it was IE itself that he could not access. He could get in by the "back door" by searching via Windows explorer but got "page cannot be displayed" by any other method. The guys here tried long and hard with no joy...... and then while I was tinkering I went into his firewall to discover that somehow, while cleaning up his system, his firewall had blocked IE from connecting!!!

so, probably a ridiculous suggestion but you may want to check your firewall and other security settings to ensure they havent decided to block the programme you need!!

Hope this helps and I am sorry for barging in but the thread title caught my eye!!

Rick

9. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Actually, that is a very good suggestion! And, none of us "smart guys" thought to offer it ;)

10. danu_moonfire

How do I check my security? I have sygate personal firewall.My main email works but not yahoo mail. I can sign into my yahoo account i just can't view the email. Thanks Danu

11. danu_moonfire

I checked my firewall and yahoo is not listed as blocked, I added it as always allow to be on the safe side. That made no difference. Check Lan settings nothing checked there. I reinstalled IE and that did no good. I'm out of ideas. What next? I really need access to my yahoo mail as I have several accounts signed up through that email account. Thanks Danu

12. DavidGP

Have you used the winsock fix that d3m3nt3d posted above, even tho it says XP it works for w2k also, sometimes when removing spyware winsock gets fouled up.

13. danu_moonfire

I tried the winsock fix now i can't log into messenger or email.

14. danu_moonfire

I reinstalled messenger and got that working but still no mail :(

15. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hey danu,

I thought for sure the winsock would fix it for you. Maybe a little more info will help us. Just to let you know, there are alot of people having the same problem with no good solution that works for everyone.

How long have you been using Sygate, did you just recently install it, and what did you have before? I know you have allowed Yahoo but try disabling the firewall, see if that works.

Does your Mcaffee anti-virus have any type of email scanner, if so disable it.

Did you install any other type of spyware program while you were working on removing malware?

Have you ever had Norton's Anti-Virus installed?

Steve

16. danu_moonfire

Disabiling the firewall did the trick. You guys are awesome,
    Thanks Danu

17. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You can probably poke around Sygate and find a setting for this so you don't have to disable it, might take a few trial and errors but there has to be one. I would think. ;)

Steve

18. DavidGP

GREAT FIND Steve :)

19. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or better yet, try uninstalling then re-installing. Sometimes poking around a firewall, if you are not familiar with them, can cause more issues then what you are trying to fix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds