USB Printer Not Recognized in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by depawl, Feb 4, 2008.

1. depawl

depawl Private E-2

This is a relatively new Dell Optiplex 330 running XP Pro SP2. I'm trying to install an HP Deskjet 6980 printer. I've run the driver setup install and when it gets to the point where it instructs me to plug in the usb cable, I do that, then nothing happpens the printer is simply not recognized. Other usb devices, such as a flash drive, and the mouse and keyboard, are recognized. I have been able to install the printer with no problem on an identical system, so the problem is apparently with this particular computer and not the printer.
    Troubleshooting steps so far:
    Tried a different usb cable and plugged it into a different port.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.
    Attempted in uninstall the USB Host Controllers and USB Root Hubs, but am unable to uninstall all of them as the mouse and keyboard on this computer are both usb (no ps2 ports).
    At the advise of HP support (I originally though it was a printer problem, so I contacted them) I installed the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, but there were no HP related programs in the list.
    At this point I'm pretty much at a loss of what to try next, a repair install of the operating system on a nearly new computer seems a bit drastic.
    Thanks for any input.

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

3. depawl

depawl Private E-2

Cat:
    Yes, interestingly enough I have been to both of those sites. Unfortunately I do not have the driver cd for this printer. When I contacted HP support and asked if they could send me a download link, they recommended that I not use the scrubber utility (not sure why). Instead they recommended the MS Installer Cleanup utility (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301). I installed it and ran it, but it generates a list of programs that were installed using the Windows installer, but there were no HP programs on that list. So I'm back at square one. but thanks for suggesting these sites.

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. depawl

depawl Private E-2

Plodr:
    Have already tried to install both the full version (252 M) and smaller (driver only) version. The small version installs but never asks me to plug in the printer. The full version gets me to the point where it tells me to plug in the printer, which I do, then nothing happens, it doesn't recognize it all. I have also checked the USB root hubs and host controllers, nothing there. And I can't figure out how to uninstall them and then let windows re-install them on reboot 'cause my mouse and keybd are usb.
    Thanks.

7. plodr

It isn't the USB roots and hubs that you want to uninstall, it is particular entries under HKLM/System/ControlSet001/Enum/USB
    You need to run regedit.
    Warning, under Enum you will see lots of entries Vid stands for the Vendor ID. I don't run a USB HP printer so I can't help you to figure out which Vid to start with.
    I do have a Vid of 03f0 that applies to HPPhotosmart. Let me see if 03f0 is always HP. Yes, this is HP's Vid.
    Now if I can figure out what the Pid (product ID) of your printer is, you will remove all the entires in the registry. A corrupted entry might be preventing the printer from installing.

I checked further and have additional entries in
    HKLM/System/ControlSet002/Enum/USB
    HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Enum/USB

8. depawl

depawl Private E-2

Thanks plodr, I'll take a look.
    Wouldn't a System Restore back to the point before I first tried to install the printer accomplish the same thing?

9. depawl

depawl Private E-2

Plodr:
    I thought you were on to something with the registry edit, but I checked all 3 Control Sets and there was no 03f0 Vid. I also did a system restore back to when the computer was brand new, but still no luck.
    So I'm beginning to think that perhaps there is a problem with the printer, even though I was able to install it on a different computer at home last weekend. I was wondering if there might be a loose connection in the usb port or something.
    Thanks again for your assistance.

10. plodr

Well if there isn't any Vid of 03f0, that computer has never taken notice that anything HP was ever attached.
    First try a different USB cable; maybe the cable is bad.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds