uninstalling windows live mail and essentials

Discussion in 'Software' started by geordief, Jul 16, 2011.

1. geordief

geordief Private E-2

Does anyone have a recipe for a 100% removal of the programme?

Every single file and folder and maybe everyt registry key too.

Or is a format of my C-drive the only way that I am going to be able to recover my emails that have disappeared with the malfunctioning of this program?

I need to eradicate all traces of this program but it is hard to find a way to do it .

thanks

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Advanced system care has tools to help with this sort of thing
    http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927
    Otherwise , if you have uninstalled the maain program, I would use the search box to find leftovers, and delete them there= but safer with a proper utility.
    In search, type windows live mail

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Formatting your hard drive will NOT help you recover your emails; in fact, formatting will erase everything on your hard drive.

Did you have windows live mail (WLM) set to leave a copy of messages on the server? Was your email account in WLM setup as a POP3 account or an IMAP account?

What happened with WLM? How did it malfunction?

I suggest you install CCleaner and run its file cleanup utility and also run its registry cleaner. But, why do you think you need to "eradicate all traces of this program"?

4. geordief

geordief Private E-2

thanks but some of the reviews for that program gave me palpitations.
    Using the search box is what I might do but I want to do a clean sweep.. .and Windows Live Mail seems many tentacled

5. geordief

geordief Private E-2

I know , formatting is the last thing I want to do but I will recover my emails in a roundabout way because I will then , with great reluctance , reinstall WLM.
    I could have set up WLM to leave mail on the server but I don't know if it could have coped with 10 years of mail (about 300Mbs I think) and anyway I worry about privacy (others', that is).

The actual malfunction seems to go back a long way (Event Viewer) as Windows Update (WLM)seems to have been faiiling since April.When the program actually failed to open (* can't find some file*) I tried reinstalling but that repeatedly fails to install.

Patience being a limited commodity ,after over a week , I am looking at radical measures (formatting ,system restore or even a new computer since I do have the computer ,including all the emails , backed up via Norton.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds