Close laptop, disconnect from internet.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by agitprop, Mar 28, 2008.

1. agitprop

agitprop Private E-2

I have a very, very old laptop. A ThinkPad 600e running windows XP.

The CMOS battery in it is dead, and the laptop's batteries will not hold a charge. So, it's constantly plugged in. This is not my problem, though.

When I close my laptop, the computer does... something. I dunno what to call it. I'm forced to log back into my account, and the internet (which is connected through a card that plugs into the side of the computer with a Ethernet port in it) dies. I then have to disable and re-enable my connection. Obviously, anything I was connected to disconnects me, so I have to relogin to everything.

Is there any way to prevent my laptop from disconnecting my net when I close it? Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There's probably a setting that puts the computer either into standby or hibernation when you close the lid - that's what is killing your internett connection.

Right click the desktop, select properties then screensaver. There is a power setting button; open that and be sure it isn't set to power off.
    Also beause it is a notebook, you probably have to go into the BIOS and see what the settings are for ACPI.
    If you have a manual, you may be able to find where the power settings are hiding and change th behavior. On my notebooks, only the display goes off, nothing else, when I close the lid.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds