Realtek HD audio driver corrupt or missing - no sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by courtneykaye, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. courtneykaye

courtneykaye Private E-2

I have no sound.
    I don't know quite as much about computers as i should...

I have a problem with my audio driver - Realtek HD audio driver.
    It says it is corrupt or missing:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I've attempted to go through all the troubleshooting guides and also attempted to reinstall the driver but now my computer will not only not let me install the driver, i can't open the setup for any driver installation.

I also attempted to uninstall the driver and it "failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."

I'm not sure what to do anymore!

I'm not sure what information you need about my laptop but it is an iBUYPOWER FL90 laptop running on Windows 2002 XP Home Edition.

I have all the discs as well as the drivers but as i said, it won't let me install any or uninstall them.
    I also cannot find the driver in Add/Remove Programs.

i don't know if you need anything else but if so, please let me know.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm worried i may have to reformat everything and i don't want to mess anything up!
    Thank you in advance!

2. imadork8317

imadork8317 Private E-2

(Solved) Re: Realtek HD audio driver corrupt or missing - no sound

I had this same problem try the following solution

Go to Start

Click Run

Type regedit

go to the following location

\hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

delete any values that have upperfilters or lowerfilters

restart

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If the above steps don't work, go to Add/Remove Programs and look for the RealTek HD Audio driver. If it's listed, uninstall it and restart the PC. Then download this driver and install it; restart the PC when finished. If that doesn't work, you may need to reinstall KB888111 which is the UAA Microsoft HD Audio update. But if you're using Windows SP3, it probably won't install correctly, and you'll have to follow the steps in this thread to temporarily 'trick' Windows into thinking that you're running SP2 and not SP3....
    Good luck, and Welcome to Major Geeks! :wave :major

[dlb]

4. LostBear

LostBear Private E-2

Re: (Solved) Re: Realtek HD audio driver corrupt or missing - no sound

What do you mean with upperfilters or lowerfilters? All the number files under that serial eg. 0001 to 0015 and properties? I need to delete those? Sorry to revive old thread but I have the same problem and this is worked for people, but I dont understand what I need to delete. Please help!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: (Solved) Re: Realtek HD audio driver corrupt or missing - no sound

Hi you can use this here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060?wa=wsignin1.0 to achieve the manual advice given earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds