Dell flat screen monitor going black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alliecat65, Apr 7, 2011.

1. alliecat65

alliecat65 Private E-2

My dell Inspiron 531 flat screen monitor is 3 years old. Yesterday it was flashing and blinking all day. Today it is black. When I turn the monitor off and then back on the screen shows for a few seconds and then goes black again. Before I pay for a tech to come out I wanted to check and see if there was anything i could do myself. Can you replace a bulb? Don't laugh too hard at that question please? lol

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :-D.

Sorry but couldn't resist ;).

Have you another monitor that you could try?? or test that monitor on another pc ??, As the problem may not lie with the minitor, but with the Graphics card failing.

iain.t :major

3. alliecat65

alliecat65 Private E-2

:-D funny guy!
    ok- borrowed neighbors flat screen and it is working a-ok.

4. alliecat65

alliecat65 Private E-2

Can i plug the old monitor into the borrowed laptop i am using- again..... no laughing.:-o

5. alliecat65

alliecat65 Private E-2

nevermind- no hookup.....duh

6. alliecat65

alliecat65 Private E-2

ok- tried my flatscreen on my son's computer. it came on for a few seconds and thern went black.....

7. alliecat65

alliecat65 Private E-2

I have to run out to help my elderly mom. I will check this when I get back- thanks again for assistance.

8. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi alliecat65,
    Your monitor is failing/failed, :cry, its not worth taking it to a shop for repair as you could probably get a new one for the price that a repair shop would charge.
    I would stop using that monitor now as it could create other issues with your machine.

iain.t :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds