YouTube Malware Warning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by evilfantasy, Jun 21, 2007.

1. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Doesnt say which site it was,I'll bet it wasnt youtube though,whats the youtube threat confused

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Does this mean that if you WATCH Youtube stuff, then you are highly likely to get infected? I guess that if you have good spyware/virus protection installed, then you will be okay. My opinion :)

4. evilfantasy

This is pretty specific.....
    The chief YouTube culprit is the Ziob trojan, which poses as a fake video file and then bombards users with ads. The ads have the potential to contain ID stealing code according to Secure Computing and ComSentry Network .

But I agree with you Rikky. The YouTube headline is a powerful way to draw people into the article. Then they quickly revert to P2P.

My opinion is it will only be a matter of time before people start getting hammered. It is summer and the young hackers have more time on their hands to see how they can destroy peoples stuff. And YouTube would be a desirable candidate to target.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

My bad,yeh thats what I was getting at though:)

6. Capt quirk

Capt quirk Private First Class

It seems like there was a bit of viral activity with MySpace too. Not nearly as many bugs, now that the kids aren't surfing myspace for hours.

7. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

The usual way that you will get infected on a site like this is when you click on a "Play video" link a pop-up will appear saying something along the lines of

"You don't have the proper codecs to watch this video, Install now?"

and you have to agree to install the codecs or whatever else they may be calling it. I would advise against installing anything from a pop-up from there.

There are proper warnings like "You need Quicktime to view" and things along those lines but to be safe I would not install anything.

8. evilfantasy

Thats not what I got from the article.

What I read was the the code is embedded in the video.

9. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Check out this link:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/sec...poses+as+fake+video+codec,+loads+more+threats

About half way through the article it reads

"Once unsuspecting users click on the link, they are indeed redirected to a site that contains a video file. However, this video does not seem to be working because it needs a special codec in order to play properly. Thus, these users are then prompted to download and install the "codec", which is actually a copy of the Trojan."

10. evilfantasy

Good read.

But search Ziob not ZLob.

I'm not trying to disagree or argue with you, but it seems the trojan they are describing is embedded in the video code itself. Therefore just watching will indeed infect you.

11. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

No argument from me. I've just never heard of Ziob.

[​IMG]

Aparently neither has the company quoted in the article.

12. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Perhaps it's the 'ZLOB' they're talking about BirdBath?

13. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

That's what I thought. Check out my post #12. I think it's a misprint in the article.

14. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Aah thanks, I missed the post.

15. evilfantasy

I'm not going to have a pissing contest here, you are smart enough to Google it and see it is mentioned in more than one article. I am sure Tech News sites have done standard double checks before printing news identifying specific sites in order to cover themselves.

Either believe it or don't. I thought it was interesting news and I still do.

Now I'm off to watch some YouTube.

16. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Ziob Trojan is not mentioned anywhere that I can find, so what's to piss about?

I was just letting some people know how Zlob Trojan gets on your system.

Believe what you want. rolleyes

17. evilfantasy

18. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Those both link to the original story. Maybe it's a European thing.

No mention of Ziob at Symantec, Trend Micro, and the other major players.

19. evilfantasy

I agree it could be a misprint, it's just that you would think the Tech Reporters would know better. At least one of them should have caught it if it were wrong.

20. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

It will probably come up.

Thanks for the you tube warning anyway. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds