what ip do i assign my router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greasemonkey2824, Aug 31, 2010.

1. greasemonkey2824

greasemonkey2824 Private E-2

Ok here is the deal. My router at work some how got rest so am able to access the router by using 192.168.1.1 and i know the admin password. I have went in and set a wepa2 password. but my problem is setting the static ip for the router i have found the ips of the other computers at work but not sure on how to pick the ip to give the router so i can get on line any help would be great thanks for reading.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

does the router have to be static? if it works otherwise, then you should be fine.

3. greasemonkey2824

I belive it has to be static cuz it will not work otherwise. I was present when it was set up i just dont remember what the ip was.

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

is it just a home router youre using? linksys or the like?

5. greasemonkey2824

using a linksys. i have it working for now lets hope it stays this way. i used an ip and it was working then just stopped then i tried a new one and its working for now.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

if the other PCs are static do an ipconfig and you should use the gateway address, which is most likely the 192.168.1.1 unless some change the IP range of the router / network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds