Access Module

Discussion in 'Software' started by Panther007, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Panther007

Panther007 Private E-2

Access

Okay I need a module that will allow me to refresh the tables everyday automatically. Not quit sure how to start it.. Help Please!!!

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

questions:

do you want to
    1. Add data to existing tables
    2. Add data and update records to existing tables
    3. Dump data and import new records

3. Panther007

Panther007 Private E-2

Access

2. Add data and update records to existing tables

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

next question..
    are you pulling the data you desire from another table or database? if so, please elaborate.

5. Panther007

Panther007 Private E-2

Access

Actually they are text files that I'm importing into a database I and I want something that would update thes text files in access automatically. They are putting them on a shared drive every morning and I need to pick them up and import them into access every moring.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

do the tables and the txt files match?
    that is to say, are the text files data separated by a common delimmeter like a comma? and are the tables in the database set up to match the number of fields that the text files data would fill?

Please use the POST REPLY button on the bottom right of the form to post a reply to this thread instead of posting a new thread each time ;)

7. Panther007

Panther007 Private E-2

Access

Yes to all of the above.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Ok, first things first..

YOU MUST do this BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

go to file.. get external data and then choose import. Then select the file you want to import. Then click the advanced button and make sure that you configure the field names as they appear in your table and the data types as well. At the top, make sure File Format says DELIMITED and choose your delimiter. Next choose SAVE AS and give the spec a name. I named mine COMMADELIMSPEC but you can name it anything you want just make sure you change that value in the module.

I am attaching the text document that I used to test the data with and the database in which I made the module. It is in access 2000 format..

this is so you can look at the code and mess with it because it won't be EXACTLY what you're doing but damn close enough that you can wiggle what you need out of it.

Next, you need to hire me.. cuz I'm looking for a job ;)

Attached Files:

• db.zip
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

one more thing.. to test my database, make sure you put the TEST.TXT file in the root of C:\

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds