Svchost.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by anon_private, Jun 23, 2014.

1. anon_private

anon_private Private First Class

Hi,

I note that I have a few svchost.exe files running. Some use a lot of memory, and I only have 1GB of RAM.

The hosts have Normal priority, would it be a good idea to reduce their priority to Low?

I am not sure regarding the significance of priority.

I assume that I need these hosts, since they are running.

Thanks.

A

2. Valinorum

Valinorum Private E-2

Svchost.exe is a process on your computer that hosts, or contains, other individual services that Windows uses to perform various functions. For example, Windows Defender uses a service that is hosted by a svchost.exe process ergo you should not mingle with the priority.

3. anon_private

Thanks for responding.

Bearing in mind that programmes have adjustable priorities, how does one know when to adjust the priority of any given programme?

Best wishes.

A.

4. Lapetus

Lapetus Private E-2

You can download & run Process Explorer, a more advanced Task Manager. It displays the running processes on your PC & shows what program is using each process. That will allow you to determine which program is using all your ram & then if need be stop the program from running. Both Windows & 3rd party software utilize svchost.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_process_explorer.html

5. anon_private

Thank you for the link

I have downloaded Process Explorer.

It looks like the program cannot be installed, but the files should placed in a folder and run. Am I correct?

No doubt I will return with a few questions once I have used the programme.

Best wishes.

A

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Just unzip on your desktop. There are 3 files: a EULA, the exe and a help file. Read the help (chm file) and then click the exe when you understand the program.

7. anon_private

I have started the programme.

Just to give me an idea.

As an example: Process: svchost.exe; pid: 872; description: Host process for windows services.

What would be the next step in gaining useful information?

8. Lapetus

Lapetus Private E-2

On the View menu check show lower pane (Ctrl+L).

You can see from the attached picture I highlighted PID 1204 & the lower pane (in handle mode) shows it's related to TCP (my Internet connection).

From the View menu you can select Lower Pane View to choose to show dlls or handles in the lower pane, default is handles.

In dll mode you will see all manner of dlls in the lower pane which can lead to confusion about the primary function of the svchost you are looking at. That's because if say your browser is running it will call up dozens of none Internet related dlls like audio service & disk manager service. These dlls are shown because the browser uses them.

I just wanted to point that out, in either mode however there should be more than enough evidence to point at the service related to the svchost in question.

You can just put the Process Explorer exe in a folder somewhere & make a shortcut to it on your desktop. The program provides tons of information & doesn't alter your system in any way. So just fiddle around with the menus & see what it displays

Attached Files:

9. anon_private

Thanks for responding, and for the image.

So far, most of the svchosts give no information in the lower pane!

10. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

To see what services each svchost.exe is hosting you can:
    • Mouse over the name in the Process column.
    • Right click on the process and select properties or double click on the process and the same properties windows will open. From there, select the Services tab.
    Whilst you're in properties, have a look at the other tabs so you can familiarize yourself with the information available.

11. anon_private

Yes,

Properties give information.

Why don't I see anything in the lower pane?

Any idea of the significance of the colours used in the upper pane?

I know what dll files are, but I am not familiar with the term handle. Do you know the definition?

Best wishes.

A

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  12. anon_private

Colour scheme solved.

Failure to see anything in the lower pane relates to the host files

13. anon_private

I now have some idea of the term handle.

Looking at the all the services attached to the hosts it seems that closing them might be a mistake.

Other than gaining a picture of the processes involved, I am not sure of the value of Process Explorer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds