Need help with Windows Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by fragmag, Jun 26, 2014.

1. fragmag

fragmag Private E-2

I have been trying to install this update for a few weeks now and it just keep failing. I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the update help tool, but it didn't fix the problem. I've been trying to research the problem myself, but I'm not able to figure it out. Can anyone lend a hand?

Here is the description of the update and the problem.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2957689)

Installation date: ‎6/‎26/‎2014 7:28 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070570

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2957689

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

2. fragmag

fragmag Private E-2

Here is a little more info. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with SP1 installed.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. Jackson2014

Jackson2014 Private E-2

If plodr's suggestion doesn't work for you. One other option might be to go to the microsoft update catalogue and install the file or files individually yourself. You just have to be using a version of internet explorer that is 6.0 or later. This has worked well for me when I have had updates not installing or working in the past.

5. fragmag

fragmag Private E-2

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Now, MY question is are you certain you're running IE 11 and not IE 9 or 10?

Also, if you are running IE 11, go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features and click on View Installed Updates and see if the prerequisite update(s) are installed or if, in fact, the update you're having problems with isn't already installed

7. plodr

Jackson2014, the links I posted are from the catalog to download.

mdonah, that same patch KB2957689, was offered for IE10 and installed on my Win 7 32 and 64 bit computers.
    click to view
    [​IMG]

Try the system readiness tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858
    then reboot.
    Next try the one that says update not applicable again.

8. Jackson2014

Jackson2014 Private E-2

plodr - My bad. I don't have great eye sight. I'll have to look more closely in the future.

9. fragmag

fragmag Private E-2

10. mdonah

Are you by any chance running Spybot or ZoneAlarm? I've had both interfere with Windows Updates and needed to disable/exit, do the updates and then Restart for the Updates to take effect and Spybot/ZoneAlarm to resume.

11. fragmag

fragmag Private E-2

No I'm not. I have Avira, super anti-spyware, and malware bytes running.

12. fragmag

fragmag Private E-2

Btw, thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.

13. plodr

Disconnect from the internet. Pull your ethernet cable going to the computer out if you need to. Turn off Avira, super anti-spyware and MBAM. Then open task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and look over what processes are running (select for all users). If any appear to be related to the three security programs, end those processes.

I assume you still have KB2957689 somewhere on your computer. Try to install it.

If it fails, I'm about out of ideas.

14. fragmag

fragmag Private E-2

I got it installed!!

I spent some more time just scouring windows help forums and found these instructions:

Method 2.

Clear up Windows Update temporary folder

a. Close all the open windows.

b. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

c. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".

d. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in " net stop WuAuServ " (without the quotes) and press Enter.

e. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in " %windir% " (without the quotes) and press Enter.

f. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

g. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.

g. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command " net start WuAuServ " (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

It worked. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

15. mdonah

@fragmag,

Thanks for the feedback. Where, exactly, did you find these instructions?

16. plodr

Hallelujiah!
    Some updates I generally say hide but I'd never do that to any updates for IE because it is too great a security risk to leave it unpatched, even if you never use it to browse.

17. fragmag

fragmag Private E-2

I found it here

Yeah I only use firefox, but I definitely didn't want a gap in security being open. Again, thanks to both of you for taking your time to help me, its appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds