80c temperature Laptop!! help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ramage316, Jun 13, 2006.

1. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

80 C is pretty hot. As good as Everest is, it's not always accurate. (not saying it's not either, but double-check)

Depends also on what the CPU is. If it uses a desktop processor, they run much hotter than a dedicated mobile processor. (Everest will tell you the CPU)

Make sure none of the vents are full of dust etc.

THIS gadget gets recommended often with good results.

3. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

Thanks for the help.

Do you think it will get it below the recommended level? and is that level generally below 60?

4. howiefix

howiefix Private E-2

Is this a new laptop or an old one? If it is old, blow out the dust with caned air through the fan vent grill. Good luck

5. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

It is 2 years old. I gave the vent a good blow. It got rid of quite a bit of dust.

6. howiefix

howiefix Private E-2

after the dust settled, what was the temp?????

7. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

no difference at all actually :confused:

So does anyone know how much the above cooler i mentioned will cool my laptop?

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I can't give you actual temps, but most who have used it say it resolved their overheating issue.

That's assuming there aren't any faults, or fans not working etc.

9. languy99

languy99 Corporal

first what kind of laptop is it? and 80C if its right and for me everest on my dell compared to the I8kfan controller was 20C hotter, and the i8K takes temps from bios. i8k said the cpu was at 40-45 and i believer it while everest said it was at 60-62

10. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

It's a Packard Bell AMD Athlon 1666 MHz.

Once on for an hour say, and while i use the internet etc. it reaches around 80c.

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Just run EVEREST on my duo core laptop. Temp is 37 degrees Celsius. My laptop is fitted into a Port Replicator so it is raised a liitle more than usual above my desk.

Do you run your laptop on a desk, on your knees, or on a soft base. Make sure your laptop is sufficiently raised from the surface to allow air to be sucked into the laptop via the fan cooling entry point. Bazza

12. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I have 2 small feet at the the rear of the base of the laptop that raises it of my desk by almost an inch.

13. bigbazza

Well that ain't it.
    Can you actually hear the fan working?
    Can you feel any hot air being exhausted out of an exhaust vent? Bazza

===

14. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I would add, Make sure your Vcore is 1.70V or if it is the newer core you can use 1.65V.
    The auto setting in BIOS is normally 1.80V.
    Thus the cpu runs hotter. Just a point.:)

15. languy99

languy99 Corporal

just like bazza said are the fans working and even if they are they might be like dells bios and not start until the cpu is in the 80s, they have a app out for dells to take car of that, but i don't know if they have something like that for PB.

16. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

Thanks for the ideas guys but I now have the Antec notebook cooler. It's rather nice looking and so far it's keeping the temp steady at 56c. It's still only on the low setting. I'll see how this goes. Thanks again.:)

17. bigbazza

Google link for anyone interested in further research.
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Antec+notebook+cooler.&num=20&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

@ramage316.
    Great that you have knocked the temp down from 80c to 56c
    I'd still contact the manufacturer to see what they consider "normal hot".
    My duo-core Intel T2300 (2 x 1.66Ghz) only runs at around 38 degrees. Bazza

===

18. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

Hmmm. I had it on for an hour or so when I first got the cooler and it stayed at 56c. During my next use, when switched on, it was reading at 58c. I then restarted after bout 10mins on and it then showed it had jumped to 84c!!

grabbing one side of the laptop feels a lot warmer than the other. Obviously because that is where the work is being done but do i need to have that area placed directly near the fans to get best results? surely not.

Bazza, the fans are working. They seem to come on almost right away.

I've still not contacted PB to get the safe temp level.

19. TimW

I've read that at about 90C is when trouble can occur ...did you check your vcore voltages? They run your cpu and account for alot of the heat buildup.

20. languy99

languy99 Corporal

what kinda of CPU cooler is it running, its more then likely heat pipe right? have you tired to remount the heat sink to the CPU with fresh grease? it means taking apart the laptop and while your there clean it up.

21. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

22. TimW

You'd have to check your mobo manual ....see if in the bios voltages you can set to user specified ....

23. bigbazza

I'd still try the manufacturer's website for advice.
    Maybe they have a FAQ section or a "contact us" link.
    Write them, email them or ring them but I would not use your PC anymore than you have to, until you have reduced the temperature quite considerably, IMHO. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds