Unable to install Windows after reformat > BSOD 0x000000f4

Discussion in 'Software' started by araak, Dec 10, 2009.

1. araak

araak Private E-2

Unable to install Windows or format > BSOD 0x000000f4

Background:
    I had an issue with a virus about a year ago and solved it through this forum although it never really ran quite like before the virus. A couple months ago I finally reformatted.

More recently I was getting occassional BSOD's and even slower performance. Last week it came to a head and I brought it to my office. After some troubleshooting and changing to a new antivirus (avg free) it didn't seem to be getting anywhere but was running ok. I brought it home and it crashed. Here is what I did since and what is wrong.

The first boot after bring it home sat at the windows xp screen for 20+ minutes > turned off and restarted > blue screen: unmountable_boot_volume > ran windows repair > chkdsk /p > fixboot > chkdsk /r > fixboot > restarted in windows.

Opened into windows but it didn’t recognize the mouse or keyboard (although the usb recognition pops up in the tray for both) and a bunch of the files off the desktop are gone. After a while it goes to blue screen, didn't get code.

Unplugged hard drive and brought to a friend who had wires to pull the files I needed. Went smooth. Reformatted again.

Reformat went well through first night although some issues with windows update that stalled at 46% every time. Installed some programs including avg free and left for the day.

Came home to BSOD 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x88c44020, 0x88CA4194, 0x805d1652) which consistently came up after every restart.

NOW: I'm trying to reformat windows xp media center and reinstall. A minute ago, I got home and saw a screen about an error on the hard disk (forgot exactly) but it gave me the option to retry. I did and "an error occurred while setup was updating partition information on: 238418 MB Disk 0 on bus 0 on iastor [MBRI] Setup cannot continue. To quite setup, press F3.

Is my hard drive shot? Help! Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. araak

araak Private E-2

it also says: "floppy diskette seek failure" before allowing me to boot from cd.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sounds like a failing hard drive to me.

4. araak

araak Private E-2

Thank you for responding.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did a full clean install. (boot from disk, delete c: partition > enter > L > partition was [raw] unpartioned. On my previous install that worked, I manually installed all the drivers.

Most recent attempt to partition got to 100% then said the disk had errors and it could not successfully partition c:.

Booting from disk since then has become a problem. When I finally got back in after multiple attempts I tried R > c:\>chkdsk > got the following message:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

Any more help would be much appreciated... even if it is okaying me to move forward with a new HD. I just don't want to spend the $50 and find out that's not the issue.

P.S. nothing too weird as far as sounds go, and not sure if I need to be in Windows to run memtest???

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It sounds like the HD is going/gone bad. Best to replace it because it will always be unreliable.

If you really want to try and keep it then I would download the DOS version of the HD manufacturer's (usually Western Digital or Seagate/Maxtor) diagnostic utility. You will have to write the ISO to a blank CD as an image file using imgburn or similar burning software. Then you can boot from the disc and run the LONG test to let it find and attempt and fix the errors. If it can fix the errors then I would let the utility do a low-level format (will take quite some time but worth it in my opinion when a disc is in questionable shape). Then try the Windows installation and set up your partitions and format to NTFS.

6. araak

araak Private E-2

Thank you, I really appreciate your help.

I've ordered a new 500GB WD hard drive for $45. For me personally, I think it's probably best just to start with a clean slate. I can pick things up and follow directions well, but electronics seem to always have those additional little issues - even when following great directions. The peace of mind will be worth it.

Thanks again. I love that people are out there to help with the knowledge the rest of us lack. No doubt, I will find myself here again.... ;)

-Andy

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's the wise choice to replace the drive. A questionable drive is no good for the Operating System.

You could keep the old one as a secondary drive for non critical data. The manufacturer's utility may be able to correct the errors and format the disk where chkdsk failed. It's up to you. I've been running a disk that I was ready to throw away, for about two years now, without a problem. I wouldn't trust it to hold my OS but it's been fine for downloads and non critical files.

8. araak

araak Private E-2

I'm back. Much sooner than I had hoped...

So I got the 500GB caviar blue HD and put it in. Ran windows xp media center install and everything went super smooth - incredibly quick.

For the past few days the machine has been running like a top - much faster than the past 1-2 years, especially noticable when installing programs.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

Last night, BSOD 0x0000007E came up on screen and I found it this morning. I noticed last night that it started to act a little funny after I tried to run Media Center (which never ended up opening).

I now can't get back into Windows. I have tried safe mode, windows repair console (chkdsk says everything is good) and restoring to last known working settings. Nothing gets me back. I have updated all the Windows updates since the new hard drive install and the BSOD comes up every time after the Win XP screen.

Any insight? Thanks in advance.... :cry

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I just did some looking for anything useful on a stop 7E error in XP for someone else.
    There is not much useful out there.
    Start here http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    scroll down the middle frame until you get to 7E and you will see what I mean. James Eshelman has more information than the other sites dealing with stop errors I've bookmarked. Even MS has little up to date info. Things like a hotfix but the info is a few years old or getting the 7E after upgrading to XP which isn't your situation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds