What does Zone Alarm do?

Discussion in 'Software' started by chris2005, Aug 23, 2004.

1. chris2005

chris2005 Private E-2

What does this thing do? All I have is Norton and I RARELY get a virus. My friend has Norton, Mcafee and Zone Alarm and hes constantly getting viruses..hes got his computerd rigged like Fort Knox. Should I have it or is it not that big of a deal?

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

i have a feeling your friend is very irresponsible when it comes to internet usage. 99.9% of the time, a virus infects a computer because the user let it in, eg open an attachment, downloaded stuff s/he shouldn't have downloaded, etc.

now for zonealarm. zonealarm is a free firewall software that basically protects your computer from unwanted intruders. think about your computer as a house. when you're computer is connected straight online (ie, it's computer -> modem -> internet, without a firewall or router), your "house" is essentially wide open. windows are open and front door unlocked. all anyone needs to get into your "house" is your "street address" (aka ip address). with the firewall such as zonealarm, it closes and locks your windows and locks all your doors. the only time it's unlocked is if you want it to, like when you check your mail or go do some shopping. it can also keep programs from accessing the internet. so the "15 year old son" (aka program) in your "house" won't be able to get out into the "street" (aka internet) and cause problems.

now, a software firewall is pretty much unnecessary unless you are connected directly to broadband internet (ie, without a router). If you have a router, the router acts as a natural hardware firewall. The only other reason to get a software firewall, then, is to keep potential trojan horses from accessing the internet and compromising your computer. I have one just for that purpose, and can be found here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3356 I use it because it's unobtrusive and relatively small.

3. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Wow, good explanation, Strogg, I"m going to save that for future reference!! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds