Microsoft Update - Going In Circles

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I'm having a problem with Microsoft Update. Every few minutes I get an icon (yellow shield with exclamation mark) displaying that I need updates. Eventhough I update it, the icon keeps coming back... even if I reboot.

I tried going directly to Microsoft Update, it says I need updates. I do it, reboot, and the computer displays the icon again. It's the same update over and over again.

What's going on?
    :banghead

Attached Files:

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

The updates in question appear to be O kb in size, so go ahead and check the "Do not show these updates again" boxes and then this should clear them.

3. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

I think that the reason that they are 0KB (zero KB) is size is that the updates are already downloaded and are in fact waiting to be installed.

The 2 updates in question are on the same piece of software and it is possible that the updates are conflicting or undoing what each other does. Try downloading and installing older update first: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...95-EC4E-4561-AB27-B3180E9139C5&displaylang=en and then downloading and installing the newer update second: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...41-6CDF-4FC4-A91B-6F18FE6921D4&displaylang=en

4. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!

Thanks for the links. I tried your links, installing the older one first, rebooting, then installing the newer one, rebooting. Still received the update shield notifier.

So, tried installing directly from the Microsoft Update page, again, older one first, rebooting, newer one next and rebooting. Still received the update shield notifier.

I didn't notice the 0KB until several attempts of updating. I'm of no help as I have no idea as to whether or not the download started that way originally, as in there was nothing to download in the first place, or after the many attempts of downloads.

However, the computer tells me that the updates were downloaded and installed, but then after a couple minutes, I get the update shield notifier as if I did nothing.

So, I've got it on ignore for the time being.

I'm not sure what to do.
    1. Do you think maybe Microsoft Update has a bug to fix?
    2. Or is it time for me to take the computer into the fix it shop for formatting/reinstalling or whatever it's called of XP?
    (The computer is 2 years old, used everyday for basic surfing and e-mail. I keep up on updates (other than this one, lol) scans of all sorts like antivirus, adware, etc.,)
    confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds