I've got a virus but my virus scanner doesn't detect it.

Discussion in 'Software' started by ColonelAngus, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Hey, everyone. Long time no Geek.

I'm no newbie to viri and computer security so please don't suggest obvious things to do.

I stupidly downloaded and opened something off Kazaa and got infected. It was a N0-CD crack for Halo. Anyway, it disapeared when I opened the file. I knew I screwed up when it happened. I scanned with AntiVir (my virus scanner) and it didn't find anything. I also used my Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Avast. They too did not find anything. I even searched my hard drive and manualy deleted thing's that I knew shouldn't be there in my WINDOWS/SYSTEM 32 folder.

I thought everything was fine until I tried to email a friend and they told me they couldn't recieve the attachment I sent because there was a virus. They can receive the email but not the attatchment. That's where the virus hides.

I also noticed things asking for internet access which I blocked with my Zone Alarm. I manually found and deleted those things. I forget their names.

The friend who received the infected email said that the virus found (it was un-named) was unable to be cured.

Can someone please help me.

Specs:

Windows XP
    P4 2.0 Ghz
    384 mbs RAM
    Service Pack 2
    I don't know if the specs matter or help, but whatever.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hey Colonel,

Just a thought, whatever anti-virus picked it up on the other end (in the email) might find it.

See what they are using and scan with it, if it's free or maybe offers an online scan.

Good luck. :)

Steve

3. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Hi, Matacumbie.

That's a good idea, but I sent it to my friends hotmail account and the hotmail server picked it up. There must be a way to find out what virus I have. I will look into how hotmail detects viri.

4. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

I just figured out what hotmail uses! It's something called Trend Micro. I will look into it.

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK.

I would try the three online virus scans listed in the spyware section, surely one of those will pick it up.

Steve

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

7. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Thanks, Matacumbie.

I tried the online Trend Micro scan and it didn't find anything. ???? What the eff is going on?

This is weird.

I'm going to try the other online scans you suggested in the Spyware Forum. I'll post back later.

8. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

I did that symantic online scan and it found 4 infected files. Some were adware and one was a trojan. Why Ad-Aware and Spybot didn't find and delete those I don't know. It's recomended solution was to buy Norton Antivirus. I don't want to buy that.

I located the infected files on my computer manually and deleted them but that didn't seem to do the trick. That's probably because deleting something doesn't get rid of it, it only sets it as free space to be used. You all know what I'm talking about.

I'm just gonna wipe the hard drive and start over, unless someone can suggest something soon.

9. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

<edit>
    removed by CP

The product linked to is illegal to share.

</edit>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2005
  10. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Colonel Angus, or my I call you by your first name, Anal?
    Look for patches @ www.megagames.com next time.

PS. I have the SNL w/ Walken and just watched that skit

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Hnnnh... I'd give a link to the file hosted on mcaffee ... much less supicious.

I mean, you could have quite easily put a trojan in that, no offense or anything but these days you need to know who to trust, and even if I have mcaffee products, I trust them not to put viruses in their files :p

The only thing I've found on mcaffee that runs from the command line is this:
    http://www.networkassociates.com/us/products/mcafee/antivirus/desktop/vs_commandline.htm
    If you were distributing this, that would be illegal. However, I doubt that you are ;)

I was wrong. Its a licenced version of Mcaffee VirusScan.

Personally, I'd try somthing like Stinger

12. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

lol, i don't know how it would be illegal to share a file that i never paid for to begin with? i had problems and couldn't d/l or install mcafee for a friend, and was given a link to that file (that i saved). anyway, whatever. - sos

13. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Sorry for the late reply. I won't make excuses.

I tried a whole bunch of online scanners and spyware/trojan/virus scanners and I got frustrated enough to erase my hard drive and start over again. I tried Stinger and it didn't help. Thanks anyway, Goldfish.

As for sosaman and foogoo - thanks for the links but I've learned my lesson. It was a momentary lapse in my judgement looking for and downloading a CD crack.

No more illegal crap for me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds