Microsoft Pulls Plug on Private Folder 1.0

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by infoseeker, Jul 18, 2006.

1. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

READ COMPLETE

:eek: infoseeker :eek:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

This part of what I have posted before at an MS newsgroup and here on this very subject......

If big corporates are worried about users installing this app on their PCs and encrypting files,THEN I think they have much more to worry about in relation to security as if users can install this app then malware and various other apps can also be installed.... they need to look closer to home that blame MS for this neat little app poor excuse for their network security.

App was still live for download lastnight, so must have been pulled this moring.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> App was still live for download last night, so must have been pulled this morning. Halo <<

I downloaded and tested the Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 a few days ago. Although I'm quite sure that there are far better security tools out there on the web; this Private Folder 1.0 application actually worked "ok" if you were looking to keep a single folder with 'private' files in it (accessible only by a password).

I don't see what all of the fuss is about regarding the part of the article that stated: "It was corporate concerns over employees using the software to hide files on their computers -- and other potentially malicious activity -- that caused Microsoft to pull the plug" as well as concerns that the software would cause major problems for network administrators.

Since the Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 download was actually an .msi installation it is would be very, very easy for any network administrators worth his/her salt to block "non-administrative access" to this type of installer, and thus disallow the possibility of installing an .msi type of installation of a particular program which any company does not like to have installed on its computers.

It just seems to me that if a company is worried about something 'malicious' being installed on their computers; (any they are stupid enough to actually "allow" their employees to download and install their own programs), this Private Folder 1.0 is quite tame compared to many other apps that could potentially do far more damage after being installed; if someone had malicious intentions.

Good Luck!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Their are quite a few similar free and paid for apps that do exact that Compuable and I think thats the issue for me and many others, these companies who are expressing this line of concern have not mentioned other major security risks or similar apps, but as it has come from Microsoft is a potential major catastrophy.....

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Their are quite a few similar free and paid for apps that do exact that Compuable and I think that’s the issue for me and many others, these companies who are expressing this line of concern have not mentioned other major security risks or similar apps, but as it has come from Microsoft is a potential major catastrophe. Halo <<

Oh, I agree entirely, Halo... Some companies are simply clueless as to the best ways to set up their systems' security and how certain programs can negatively affect their computers "security-wise" as well. As I said earlier, any company; but in particularly large companies, which allows their employees to download/install their own applications "willy-nilly" is simply asking for trouble in my opinion.

It's a simple enough task for these people to hire a systems admin to set up their company's computers to be not to be capable of allowing program installation - w/o the company's approval, I mean. Also, even if someone only owns a small family type of business; having a competent and trustworthy systems administrator available (to handle what gets installed and where) is an investment that pays for itself ten times over.

For example: I know a couple who live in my area who own a small business selling plumbing supplies. This was actually a "family" business which was previously run by the guy’s father and was handed down the son after his dad retired. These folks knew all about plumbing supplies, contractors’ needs, etc. However neither one of these two people (the couple who now owned the business) had much of an aptitude and/or interest for maintaining their computers on their own; or even hiring someone to do so.

Since they only used 3-4 computers to run their business they figured they did not need to hire a systems administrator to oversee what gets installed where as well as to set up their networking and security software, PC arrangement and installation, as well as maintain their antivirus software, etc.

Anyway, subsequently this couple had unwittingly left their 3-4 computer systems wide open to a malevolent employee who they’d hired to work as a part-time bookkeeper on one of their computers. When the employee got wind of the fact that he would likely be laid-off at the end of the quarter; he decided to wait until his last week there and then download and install encryption software and encrypt all of their networked company files and records! This malicious guy even went so far as to uninstall the encryption software afterwards and then delete all system restore points; leaving the company files effectively and entirely un-restorable!

Companies (large or small) that go the "cheapo route" as to not bothering to hire a competent and trustworthy systems administrator and/or set up their computers in a way which allows their employees to download/install their own applications; do so at their own peril.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds