Yahoo homepage won't open

Discussion in 'Software' started by quartermilerocket, Aug 29, 2006.

1. quartermilerocket

quartermilerocket Private First Class

Good Morning to all,

I've got a little problem, maybe a week ago or so my Yahoo homepage didn't load. I waited a while and it was pretty late at night so I turned the computer off and went to bed and unplugged my wireless modem. The next day all was fine it loaded in maybe 20 seconds

Last night about 10 p.m. I go to get online and my Yahoo homepage doesn't load:mad: the header is there and I can see I have messages but the body of the page is not there and its trying to open, but after 10 minutes I give up and turn it off, hoping to have a better day today.

No such luck, today I just got through doing adaware and cc cleaner and even cleaned up my browser, still my Yahoo homepage wouldn't load up any ideas anyone:confused: this has never happened before.

Thanks

James

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Try one or more of the following.

Power Cycle your modem

Power Cycle your router.

Flush your DNS cache ('ipconfig /flushdns' from a command prompt)

Test with a different browser and see if it makes a difference

3. quartermilerocket

Hello matt.chugg,

Thanks for the response, I'm kinda computer illiterate, how do I do each of the things you just said?

James

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Power Cycling is as simple as turning off and on again leaveing a gap of a couple of minutes before turning on again.

Try it with your router first. if this doesn't help i will show you how to flush your dns cache. I also reccomend rebooting your computer while the you are waiting for the router to fire up again just to make sure it isn't anything that would be fixed by a reboot.

5. quartermilerocket

Ok matt.chugg here's what I did,

I turned off my computer completely and then unplugged my wireless modem for about 3-4 minutes, then I plugged the modem back in and then powered my computer back up still the same problem.

I did forget to mention that when I initially started having this episode a week ago and even yesterday and today, that when the computer powers down a box that says end program cc ap appears, makes me wonder if that could be a problem:confused:, oh well

Thanks

James

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Do you have a symantec AV program installed ?

Goto Start --> Run. Type in CMD and hit enter

In the resulting command prompt window type in "ipconfig /flushdns' without quotes and hit enter. Let me know what it says.

7. quartermilerocket

Yes, I have Norton internet security 2006.

I just followed those prompts and it said "Windows IP config. Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache"

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Something else you might check. It could be Adwatch (AdAware SE).

Open AdAware SE.
    Go to AdWatch User Interface.
    Go to Tools and Preferences.
    At the bottom of the screen you will see 2 options Active and Automatic.
    Active: This will turn Ad-Watch On\Off without closing it.
    Automatic: Suspicious activity will be blocked automatically.
    Uncheck both options.

If that isn't it, enable third-party cookies and try it.

Select "Tools | Internet Options..." from the main menu.
    Change to the "Privacy" tab
    Click "Advanced..."
    Check "Override automatic cookie handling"
    To enable: Select "Accept" for "First-party Cookies" and "Third-party Cookies" Check "Always allow session cookies"
    To disable: Select "Block" for "First-party Cookies" and "Third-party Cookies" Uncheck "Always allow session cookies"
    To get a prompt: Select "Prompt" for "First-party Cookies" and "Third-party Cookies" Uncheck "Always allow session cookies"
    Click "OK"

Steve

9. quartermilerocket

Hey Steve,

I've got the free version (ie: ad-aware se personal) it doesn't allow the ad-watch feature without paying for it I assume, plus I couldn't find any of the prompts you indicated with adaware se, so I guess they are somewhat different.

So I did the enabling of third-party cookies and I'm still in the same boat:mad: I just don't understand all of a sudden this happens:confused:
    although it is probably something I did as usual:)

Thanks

James

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Disable NIS (Norton Internet Security) and see if it works, I know it has an ad-blocking feature. I think that is what Matt was looking at.

Steve

11. quartermilerocket

When I went to do that Steve it said I would no longer be protected from internet threats: I went ahead and did that for about a quick 15 seconds to see if would work and IT DID WORK!!!!!!!!.

But the question is I would not want to turn off the internet security permanently right? so what should I do to get my home page back without risking internet invasion:rolleyes:

James

ps: how did it get like that, that I would have to disable norton internet security it in order to get my homepage ?

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You have to start looking in NIS, some feature is blocking it. Maybe popup, spam or adblocking, it will just take some trial and error. Go thru all of your options/settings and start there. ;)

Don't leave NIS disabled, that was just to test and see if Matt's idea was right.

Steve

13. quartermilerocket

Ok Steve will start the old trial and error, hope it goes quick :)

James

14. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

There may be an option in NIS to add sites to a safe list. You could probably add *.yahoo.com to this list so that nis won't apply its filtering/blocking/whatever to yahoos page.

15. quartermilerocket

Ok, I'll try that as I'm still doing the trial and error thing.

And Thanks Guys for your help.

James

16. quartermilerocket

Just an update finally found out how to get my homepage back and probably how it happened in the first place.

1.When Norton internet security is installed as a whole product and not a stand-alone it gives a web assistant in the upper right hand of your home page that says "block ads", "block popups", and guess what?, on my yahoo homepage these were checked, by accident of course:), and when I unchecked them guess what? hey instant homepage!!!.

2. When browsing the internet be very careful what your mouse clicks because in an instant you could be in trouble :).

Thanks again to Steve and matt.chugg

James

17. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Well that's interesting, never heard of the web assistant .

Glad you got it figured out James and thank's for letting us know "exactly" where and what was causing it. :)

Steve

18. quartermilerocket

19. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Oh yeah, the link probably will help some people. :)

That's what it's all about my friend. ;)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds