Nocturnal Orange Juice and the Daily Soda

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thead, May 31, 2007.

1. Thead

Thead Leave It To BeaVAR!

I realize how shallow this may be, considering I basically never post and rarely lurk here anymore, but many of you witnessed the inception of Nocturnal Orange Juice and the Daily Soda first hand, so I feel it I owe it to you to display just how far I've come, not to mention I need to build as much hype as possible before launch. :p

I'm pretty much building a site to serve as weekly/biweekly/monthly (depending on the time I have) comic strip, based off personal experiences (some of which were recorded and posted on these boards in years past), in addition to being a T-Shirt/print shop, and overall showcase for my work. Soon enough I'll have an unrelated portfolio on there as well, but I'm currently focused on building the NOJ universe.

I officially withdrew from the University of Washington about 4 weeks ago, moved downtown and enrolled at the Art Institute. My life and attitude towards it has changed completely and I'm eager to get my career and real education on a roll. I think my work is good, but it can become infinitely better - I'm interested too see whether or not people will buy shirts and prints, I think they will.

To clarify, the idea behind these is this: I'm creating a somewhat sitcom-like universe, where multiple characters share the spotlight and the protagonists will change from week to week; there will certainly be a few main characters that we see more of, but I'd like to keep it pretty varied. The basis of (most of) these characters comes from the Nocturnal Orange Juice lingo/lore that my friends and I have created over the years, with a bit of influence from real life and whatever the **** else I want, but the adventures they encounter will more often than not come from real life experiences we've had.

To give you an idea, here's some 2 week old to 2 month old sketches; some are NOJ related, others aren't, but I'm too lazy to divide them up. I currently have much more that I'm dying to share with the world, but I'm in the process of getting the proper trademark/copyright registration stuff worked out to protect myself. Also, the whole cool factor will be about 10 times bigger if I post a bunch of finished work at once (the nature of this project requires me to have multiple works in progress that will more or less be finished at the same time).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

started coloring this one but have been to indecisive, i keep changing it around
    [​IMG]
    A collage I started last year...
    [​IMG]
    Here's where it is after spending a few hours on it this week... again, can't help myself from changing everything time and time again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    screwing around with ink some more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll be sure to post more once I've got the copyright stuff sorted out, and obviously I'll spam you all once the site launches. ;) Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Oh yea, if you're interested in any older stuff, check http://thead.deviantart.com (rarely updated) or browse through here: http://downloads.nocturnaloj.com/Art

2. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

You certainly have an eye for detail and a good hand at art. 'fraid not to my taste (more into classical art stuff myself eg the "Old Masters"). But, what the heck! Wish you well with your endeavours...sure there are others out there who enjoy your style.:wave

Cheers

LS

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey Thead you SPAMMER long time no hear from ;)

Nice artwork.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Very cool. Good luck with it all. :)

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

My 3 year old could draw better than you :)

No seriously.. good stuff man! Very talented :D

But you're still a spammer :D

6. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Thead, your a wicked artist mate. Have you ever heard of 2000AD or Total Carnage? They are UK adult comics. You could work for something like that. I love dark artwork like that, I used to buy the comics just for it. Top Top Stuff mate! No bull! Keep it up mate, your talented. :p:cool:major

7. Thead

Once a spammer always a spammer, at least I embrace the reality of the situation, right? :eek:

Wayne, I was never really into comics but have always been inspired by the style; I've spent plenty of time looking at comic book artist portfolios online, but have never owned an actual comic book :p. It's certainly something I am considering, but I've currently got my heart set somewhere in film or games.. that can always change, though. In fact, after a bit of looking at 2000 AD's website, I've decided to head down to the local shop and pick up a few books - something I've been meaning to do for a while, just always have a hard time deciding on which to get. I could spend a fortune on all the other junk in the shop, so I try to keep myself out unless I need something - thanks for the excuse! :D

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm dying to publish my more-peranent ideas, soon enough I guess :cry

here's one for old times sake:

[​IMG]

8. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Nice artwork, there. Good luck for the future, Teh Beavar.

... And yep you are a Spammer, lol! ;)

9. DavidGP

Ahhh dood, thats grim and should have CSI investigating it! ;)

10. Thead

Alright guys, sorry haven't had much time to post, but I assure you I'm spending what time I do have wisely. I apologize if this seems like spam, because I assure you motives are genuine. I hope this rough draft of my current philosophy helps make that clear. Beyond that, I apologize for having offended anyone on these boards in the past; I'll be first to admit that my sarcasm can be difficult to understand in real life, moreso online. That's no excuse, but I'm working on it. http://thead.deviantart.com

[​IMG]

I am just now starting to take serious control over my artistic path. I know now, more than ever, what I need to be comfortable with my life. Money. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. No, it’s not so I can buy a Porsche and a PS3, it’s because I know how money is the root of all systems of control on this earth, as sad as that may be, and I know that I never want something like that to limit what I am able to do while I am here. Beyond that, I want to be able to give back to those that have already done so much for me; so much of my life has been spent receiving things that I didn’t deserve and I am ready to prove I was worth it. They provided stability for me when I needed it, now I want to be a stone for them. Furthermore, I will buy a Porsche and a PS3 – like the rest of America, I’m an entertainment junky; I work hard at what I do, I’m going to have my cake and eat it, too. That doesn’t mean I won’t make my best effort to give back to those who need it most.

Bottom line is, these are some pretty bold things to say, but I’m comfortable enough in my view of the world and ability to discipline myself to say them with the utmost confidence. This isn’t about being famous per se, but I recognize that to succeed in art you need to be noticed and fame is the quick and easy way to that; the tricky part is getting there, but I’m learning what it takes.

There is no question that I have a long way to go – I recognize there are millions of artists on this world that I do not even compare to, but I do know one thing: none of them are the same as me and that is my biggest advantage. Let me remind you, what you see of me here and on nocturnaloj.com is merely one aspect of who I am and what I am capable of doing. I take everything that needs to be taken seriously, seriously. There is nothing more serious to me than my own opinion of myself. I’ve spent a good part of my life feeling inadequate because people didn’t want me to set my expectations too high. Those people are a bunch of pussies, but they’ve made me who I am. Nothing will improve me more than my desire to impress and ultimately help those around me. I want to be an inspiration to you because you inspire me. Let’s help each other.

I mean that. More than ever, I need help. If you read this and like what you see, I will be forever grateful if you help me; I’m willing to do whatever it takes to make sure you know that. I’m an active learner and pick things up very quickly; I believe I simply need to meet the right people to land myself in the right environment to accomplish some truly amazing things. If this essay and/or my work inclines you to believe that in even the slightest way, please do not hesitate to contact me. I admit I’m currently very busy with my own projects, so if it takes me a while to get back to you I promise it’s not personal and I will be in touch with you.

At the same time, please don’t play games with me. I’m laying my cards on the table and I expect the same from anyone who wants to work with me. I don’t want to waste your time and I sure as hell don’t want you to waste mine. Tell me what you want in exchange for providing me with what I need; it’s as simple as that. I’ve got nothing to prove; I’m here, I’m driven, just show me the way.

If you made it this far and think we should hook up, shoot me a private message and we’ll go from there. I thank you for looking either way.

11. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OMG...you've found my husband's Dari-Mart coffee mug that he uses when out in the woods cutting. Seriously, this is a spitting image, completely with disgusting additions!

12. Thead

Only one person has responded and I think I'm beginning to understand why. I'm trying to change myself guys, not toot my own horn, please believe me. Criticize what I have to say if you don't agree with me, I'm trying to learn to say the right things to get what I want.

I think this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298581 can help you understand I am for real. Everything I say I believe to be true, but I know that's something I will always have to work on.

I am not the conceded, delusional d-bag I might appear to be. Please help me. http://thead.deviantart.com

Response from another forum

13. Thead

Sorry I keep bumping my own thread, as its rather contradictory to what I'm trying to get you to believe, but it's important you know this. Some of you, you know who you are, first met me when I was 13 or 14. I'm sure I pissed a lot of you off, but believe me, everything you said to me I took personal; in a good way. I want to be worth your time, and I'm going to prove to you that you've effected me in a positive way.

14. Thead

Give things time and they really start to sink in. I've completely missed the point with all this stuff. Verbalizing my own insecurities has helped to realize it.

I'm done talking about myself. My next post will be artwork, that's it. I'll leave my words up in hopes that you can find some sort of understanding in it.

Thanks, and I apologize for the verbal diarrhea. I know you don't need to care about this stuff for me to, just took me a while to realize it.

15. DavidGP

Hey Thead, I'm really happy that you have got a goal to aim for and your artwork is really good, guess you just have to now get around a bit on some design forums and pimp your artwarez so to speak!

Get a portfolio together and get walking around some ad agencies or design studios if there are any in your area, design a business card to had out, basically get your face and name known,

To be honest what you may or may not have done in the past, annoying folk or not, well thats the past, your now trying to move forward and leave that period of your youth behind which is really commendable, so good luck to you.

I have no idea how I can help you in your career, but if I think of anything I will let you know.

Hope you get the porsche :) me I'd aim higher Lamborghini *thumbs up*

16. Thead

Dude, let's face it, I hardly know you and that's some of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Thank you, I do not forget these things; I realize more and more the past does not matter only because I say it doesn't. Regret is one of the worst feelings in the world - I'm determined to avoid it, but know I can't. Doesn't mean I wont try.

Sincerely man, thank you.

17. DavidGP

I know we just over the years on forums just bumped into each other on occasion, but I hear you loud and clear on regrets, we all have them I have had some corkers and still make decisions that I regret, thats life sadly, BUT the trick is learning from them, I believe from what I have read from you in this thread that you recognise some areas of your life that have not gone to plan, but it takes a BIG man to admit it, you have crossed that hump now and have an interest to sink your teeth into.. artwork is a great way to express yourself.

my PM is always open if you just want to say hi or link me to some of your artwork, I have bookmarked your sites, so look forward to looking at your new works :)

David

18. Thead

I will keep in touch man. Thank you for the encouragement. I really think it may be worth your while to check the NASIOC link I posted with this in mind:

I am a happy guy, I wasn’t so long ago – my friends know why; these guys on the internet are 90% BS. I just need the smart guys to respect me, the stupid people to think they’re in control, and the really smart guys to not say anything. What people say to me helps me to find the true meaning behind everything I do, which ultimately helps me manipulate those people who think they’re over themselves, but really aren’t.

My ish is on the level, man. More than ever.

Thank you.

David

19. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Your work is amazing, scary but- be mindful of art schools, My grandson was designing web sites but thought he was missing out on something. He enrolled in Brooks Institute, accrued $60,000 in fees and hasn't learned any more then what he did but now is paying $1400 a month in student loans.
    Good luck to you.

20. Thead

Thanks Darlene. I hear horror stories about art schools all the time; my experience with UW has taught me to trust my instincts - if something feels wrong, it is wrong, get out of there.

One woman in particular at AI Seattle has made me confident in my choice. People complain art schools don't teach you much - what they don't realize it that it is true. I teach me. Simple as that, I just need the tools to get there.

More and more I'm having some revelations about the simplicities of life and I'm using that to get what I want. I don't pretend to have things figured out, I learn from everything anyone says to me, if you can appreciate that please keep an eye on my blog.

It's important for you guys to know just how much you mean to me. I've posted this stuff on a lot of other forums with mixed results, the majority of it slamming me. You guys have always seen through the BS for a long time, it's just taking me a while to do that myself. I'm trying, believe me I'm trying.

Thanks again.

By the way I realize I said I'd post drawings, but I'm still in the process of working this last things out. Trying to cut the excess out of my life, find my friends, screw the rest. Furthermore I realize we're all human and I need to stop apologizing for everything I do that doesn't match up with my words. Relaxing is cool :D

21. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

you're gonna do fine.
    the first and often the hardest thing to do is to recognize that we HAVE any talent. from there on its a relatively simple matter to find people and places to stretch that gift. the next hardest thing i suppose is the knowledge that all talent has limits. only god is perfection or something on those lines. in other words, don't become a 'tortured' artist!!!

i am always envious of people that have what i call 'god given' talents. i can neither sing nor play music, i cannot create in form what my mind can create in vision. one can learn to be an adequate 'artist', but one cannot replace talent. the older i get of course the more readily i recognize the extraordinary being i actually am....but still there is the 'i wish i could'.

best of luck man.

22. Thead

I really really appreciate this. For a while was convinced talent does not exist; I was convinced only hard work exists. I'm beginning to discover both are true, but in a non surface sense. Thank you for posting.

Here goes nothing.

www.nocturnaloj.com
    http://thead.deviantart.com

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LANGUAGE ON THE GRAPHIC: REMOVE IF YOU MUST BUT I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND IT'S ALL FOR THE SAKE OF HUMOR.

[​IMG]

THANK YOU

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds