Quick RAM question.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SammaeL, Dec 13, 2005.

1. SammaeL

SammaeL Private E-2

I have a Compaq Presario 7478.It originally had 64 megs of RAM.A friend gave me an extra RAM card boosting it to 120-156 megs,can't quite remember.

Recently my comp slowed down and I noticed I only have 56 megs of RAM.I assumed the card my friend gave me died out but that doesn't explain how I lost some of my original RAM.

Any ideas on what might have happened?Or are my RAM cards just crap?

2. skealo

skealo Private E-2

ram doesn't come with 64 mb of ram. in multiples of 56/128/256/512 and so on. You can add a 56 and 128..Anyways, 64 mb of ram, wherever you saw that most likely would be in conjunction with your graphics adapter; however, I think somethings a little fishy because that computer must have been bought in the stone age to have 56 mb of ram.

Skealo

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Uh, skealo... 56 is not a multiple of 128... Check this out:

56 x 2 = 112

112 = not 128

I would say that it's showing 56 instead of 64 because you have 8MB of integrated video (it used 8MB of your memory for your video graphics)

As for the other piece of physical memory you added... I don't know.

PS: RAM does come in 64MB sticks (or it used to, anyway).

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

try pulling out the ram and re-seating it, or swapping which slot(s) they are in, try just using the one that you think may not work...if it doesnt work, then yes, its probably bad. have you made any other major changes that may have caused this?

5. skealo

skealo Private E-2

yea, I was up to late last night....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds