Freeze up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morgan, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Morgan

Morgan Private E-2

I have a comp someone gave me. They said it had a bad hard drive the reason they were getting rid of it. It would boot to the windows 98 pic and stop ..froze up??..I thought maybe a re-install would help..so i formatted the drive and started ...but when it got to installing it would just freeze...i put in another drive ..same thing....virus is disabled..every thing slicks along until it starts installing....go figure ...any ideas????...oh and by the way scandisk says both drives are okay. Could it be that in that length of time it is heating the processor or???....causing it to freeze. I am trying to install win98

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

This is a bit of a long shot, but I have had a couple of old computers freeze up after a format and during the Windows installation. Turns out the CD drive was old and dirty. I ran a cleaner disk in it, restarted the installation, and all was well.

Good luck.

E

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Spot on Fred .. I have just come accross this for a friend and with a clean disk it installed Ok and this was Win 98 as well. Theres your answer Morgan ;)

4. Morgan

Morgan Private E-2

well this don't seem to work for me for some reason. I have even tried to install with a brand new cd drive and it still won't take it. It installs to a certain point and then just stops. One comp freezes and another comp just stops and sits there...not froze..i can move the cursor..Now i do notice that the cd drive just seems to stop at that point..the light goes off and it just sits there. do you suppose that i could copy the 98 cd to a new cd and it would work??...although i have used this cd to install before. I am at a complete loss...what you suggest sounds reasonable but not working for me. i have run every check on the hardware...memory checks good..virus checker disabled...hard drive is good..no errors. Thanks for your response...where would we be without each other....THANKS:D

5. Morgan

Morgan Private E-2

Well making another disk did not work....any ideas anyone???

6. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Does the reading stop at a certain percentage everytime ie. (11%) of instalation, if so, it is the data on your disk that is knackered, so if you copy it to a new disk the same will happend. But there are some shops about that can clean CD's if they have become scratched and damaged, of course this depends on how deep the damage is. Locally I can get one cleaned for a couple of quid. Disk goes on a turntable and a fine abrasive and water is used.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds