Pages stay in "loading" mode, don't load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheena, Jul 24, 2012.

1. sheena

sheena Corporal

Hi.
    For the past few days when I am on a website and want to go to some page on it the page never loads; in the tabs toolbar it says "loading" and in the task bar it says it is waiting for the site. My modem has a thing that allows me to see how many bites are going thru per second. It has something called sd and rd, and when things are going right sd and rd are green and bytes are going thru and things are running as they should. When the above happens the sd and rd are black and no bytes are going thru. What does sd and rd mean?
    Can someone tell me why my computer is doing this? I know frequently I get a 'page not found' notice and while I am still connected no bytes are going thru. This has always happened and I take it as an indication that while I am connected the telephone carrier is not giving me service. Usually this happens when I have been on the net over an hour, but sometimes sooner. I am paying for unlimited service. Anyway, when I disconnect and come back on the bytes start going thru again, but doing this has not solved the problem of my being in permanent "loading" mode.
    What could be causing this? I have run updated malwareabytes antimalware and it says the computer is clean.
    Sheena

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Sheena

Sd = Send
    Rd = Recieved

These are as you say the data bytes travelling through your modem.

What Windows version and Service pack are you using? and is it fully upto date with any Widnows updates.

What browser and version are you using?
    Try a different browser to see if the same thing is going on.

Does this happen on every website you goto or just certain ones and if certain ones, do you have a sample siet for us to check?

Likely issue is media players like Adobe Flash/Shockwave and Sun Java need updating on your PC as they are a few of the things that can bog down a website frm opening if you have an old version installed, so I would update Adobe Flash and Shockwave and Sun Java

Install the above with your browser closed, then restart your browser once all are installed and try the sites again.

3. sheena

sheena Corporal

Thanks David.
    Send and receive; I thought it would be some complex technical term.

I am still using xp prof, serpack2. I don't have adobe flash or java. I don't like them and they leave little bits of themselves that never go away no matter if I use ccleaner, search and then destroy; I find bits of them years later. Plus I thought java had alot of security problems. I am using the oldest version of mozilla firefox I could find, which I downloaded here months ago as when I updated it it messed up all my web pages. Mozilla nags me everytime I go online.
    It was happening on alot of sites; I was on some gun site when it started, but I can't remember which. [Had just read a spy novel and my macho was activated]
    Not to dispute you in any way, but is there any possibility that this could be a problem with my isp? I like my old things; they work for me.
    Sheena

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI Sheena

Occam's Razor :)

Everything has security issues, including Mozilla and using older versions of software can also be a security risk as newer versions have fixes to plug holes in the software, but I do see where you are coming from with using older versions and if not broke for you why fix.

it could be your ISP or your Modem at fault, so turn your modem off then count to 10 and turn back on, then see if your sites work ok, if not then check with your ISP if they can do a line test for you.

But lagging and slow sites can be due to missing things like Java and Flash and even these days Silverlight as the site will struggle to load quickly as its looking for these media addons, so if you give a sample of a site I/We can check what media add-ons it may use and how quick they are for us.

Do you also know what speed your internet is that you pay for? the paid package speed can be different to what you get real world as many factors will be at play from line quality, to distance to said site server.

Can check your real world speed HERE (this one doesnt use Flash or Java like most others do, so should work for you)

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sheena are you still using dial-up? If so things like Java are a no-no on size alone, 100MB file = some 5 hours of downloading.

I'm wondering if your ISP uses a 1 hour limit on d/u connections (mine was 2 hours on d/u), disconnects before that limit could be from an incoming call or other errors on the line.

Try a force refresh > Ctrl+F5, to reload a problem page completely.

6. sheena

sheena Corporal

Thanks Dave.
    I ran the speed test at the site you gave me three times, and here are the results:

1.15 mb/s; 130 kb/s; 790 kB/s for download speeds. Each time I ran the test I got the

message: upload error, please try again. Does that mean that there is a problem when my computer sends information, or what could that include?

Sheena

7. sheena

sheena Corporal

Hi Satrow.

Still on dial-up, and I don't do videos online. I am paying for unlimited dial-up, but while still technically connected the little connect icon goes black and the modem software shows no throughputs often after only an hour, and I have learned to disconnect and reconnect and then action starts again. I have complained over and over to my isp to no avail, they deny they bounce. Service has gotten worse over the years. At one time, due to some problem with call waiting which I don't have but may have been part of some package, they denied fault on their end, but I did get disconnected with incoming calls. No longer get notified of calls, but still could be part of problem.
    Could you try to explain what goes on in a force refresh. Being technically challenged I probably won't get it, but give it a whirl if you will. So funny, while I was writing this got technically disconnected, had to paste it and then reconnect and click on the clipboard.
    Thanks,:)
    Sheena

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Well, Call Waiting, as far as I'm aware, needs a compatible modem plus software - it's the 'easy' way to put the 'net 'on hold' while you take a call - it also allows your 'phone to detect missed calls. A 'normal' modem usually gets kicked by an incoming and when you check for a missed call - there's no record - not good for troubleshooting!

Put simply, a normal page refresh 'looks' at the site and loads unchanged data from the stored cache on your hard drive and downloads any changed data - if the cached data is (still) incomplete, it's likely to stay that way - the page never loads.

When you do a Ctrl refresh, it forces all the page data to be downloaded anew, so you should get the completed page showing - but it will take a little, or substantially, longer than loading mostly from cache.

So, unless you can find a good modem with call waiting, a non -USB external serial modem would be best - and any good modem is rare nowadays, they just aren't commonly found or made anymore, Ctrl+F5 is the way to go to fix the hanging pages.

9. sheena

sheena Corporal

Hi Satrow.
    I never wanted call waiting,didn't order it or anything, but used to get notified, then would get immediately disconnected while frantically clicking on 'don't take call'. Now I don't get notified, but still, as I said, am getting disconnected. My modem does what I want, so its ok with me.
    Thanks,
    Sheena

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds