Dell Dimension 8400 beeps 1-3-2 but won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kellyplus, Jan 5, 2010.

1. kellyplus

kellyplus Private E-2

Yesterday after I pushed the start button my computer beeped 1-3-2 and nothing happened other than the fan going. Ten minutes later I tried again and the computer booted up fine and I used it all day with no problem.

This morning, the same sequence occurred, except there was no boot-up at all. I turned it off and tried again and again, but no luck. Same beeping pattern 1-3-2, and the diagnostic lights showed yellow yellow green green.

Based on other threads, I replaced the battery (a CR 2032 -I had an extra one on hand) and reseated the memory sticks. Again same results: 1-3-2 beeps, YYGG lights.

Any suggestions for action I can take will be greatly appreciated.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Dimension 8400 series
    MS Windows XP Professional SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 processor 540
    1GB DDRW SDRAM at 533MHz
    128MB PCI Express x16(DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE
    160GB Serial ATA HardDrive

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Those codes point to memory problems. Do you have more than one module? If so try to boot with just one installed at a time.

3. kellyplus

kellyplus Private E-2

sach2,

Thanks for your quick response.

Per your suggestion, I removed one of the memory sticks and tried to boot up w/o keyboard and mouse connected.

No beeps this time and screen showed the following message:

Had to leave at that point pushed on-off button to shut down.

Just returned and this time hooked up the keyboard and mouse and hit the on-button. Again no beeps, diagnostic light pattern is GGGY. Screen shows the following message:

Will await your recommendation for the next step. I'm guessing you'll want me to repeat this process with the other memory stick.

Thanks,

kellyplus

4. sach2

You definitely need the keyboard attached to get through POST. If it is currently as described in your last post F1 should automatically set the time and date and try to boot from your HD which is what you want.

I'll check on the diagnostic lights.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I've seen older Dells do this with modern monitors.

Make sure the monitor is switched on before the pc.

6. kellyplus

kellyplus Private E-2

sach2,

Replaced the other memory module in the same socket as the first one tested, booted up and got the same message as the last quoted. So, per your recommendation, I hit F1 and Bingo, it booted up from the HD.

Evidently, both modules are good. Does this mean the empty socket has gone bad, or is there another explanation? Currently I have four sockets, two white (currently in use when both installed) and two black (empty). Should I try the modules in the black sockets?

Studiot,

Thanks for the suggestion. I seem to do that as a matter of course, in fact, I never turn off the monitor. Don't know if that's good practice or not.

kellyplus

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

When you boot the bios scans the system hardware. The beeps and screen messages are telling you that what is finds is different from the checklist it holds in CMOS memory. F1 allows you to carry on regardless.

You need to enter the bios by hitting F2 at boot and reset all the CMOS information.

When you have done this the memory will probably work in either the black or white sockets, but not mixed.

If you then get errors and restarts whilst working I would suspect the memory.

8. sach2

I'll defer to Studiot for the memory advice. I would have thought that one of the modules is faulty. I doubt the connector is faulty. Try booting with both in the original slots and see it you get the beep error again. If no error go with it and see if it reoccurs in the future. If an error try them both in the dark slots.

Here is an approximate link to remove the Floppy Seek Error from you Startup (F2).

9. kellyplus

kellyplus Private E-2

sach2 & studiot

With resetting the CMOS and putting in both memory modules my computer works fine. I think the problem must have been that one of the modules became disconnected. I checked that originally, but must not have reset one or both modules correctly. I found out that it is possible to secure the module clips without the module having been seated correctly.

Anyway, now all is good and my current problem resolved.

Thanks again for all your help.

kellyplus

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Glad you got it sorted. An old PC engineer used to advise cleaning memory contacts with $bills. The paper is apparently ideal for the job.

11. donster22

donster22 Private E-2

hi.

i had exactly this problem and after removing the RAM from slot1 my computer would start to boot.

but.... it now says ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt.

it tells me to use the original recovery CD to repair. unfortunately i do not have it because the computer was given to me by a friend when he got a new one.

is there any way to repair the ntfs.sys without the windows CD?

thanks for any thoughts / advice.

don

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

donster22, welcome to MajorGeeks.
    Please start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    and click the new thread button near the top left. The Major prefers everyone has his/her own thread for a problem and not tack a problem on to someone else's thread.
    When you post, state the make and model of computer, when the problem started and what, if anything, you have tried to fix it. It would also help if you mention any disks you have available (genuine windows disks, restore/recovery disks, images made).

13. Kraston

Kraston Private E-2

Hello kellyplus....

I saw this old post of your's and thought you might be able to give me some information on the BIOS settings for your Dell Dim 8400. I have the same equipment here with identical hardware and RAM. I messed up my BIOS settings and was looking for what my settings should be. I failed to write down the settings and have reset my CMOS and put everything back into the original default settings. Windows XP starts, but only in Safe mode for some reason. I get Four good Green lights on the back, but think something must be messed up in my settings. Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Kraston, unfortunately kellyplus hasn't been here for almost a year (Feb. 2011) so I don't think your post will be seen.
    You may have a better chance of getting help if you start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    click the new thread button and ask the members at large about BIOS settings. Be sure to mention what you did in your above post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds