Trillian/Threatfire Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cleokatrah, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Cleokatrah

Cleokatrah Private E-2

This is technically an issue to post on Trillian's forum, and I have, but my hopes aren't very high that they can solve it, as a preliminary search did not turn up many success stories with this particular error. I'm hoping you guys can maybe help me see something I can't.

I had too many programs open the other day (shame on me) and froze up my desktop. I was able to bring up PC Tools Threatfire and kill several processes to unfreeze it. One of these processes was Trillian.exe. The other programs have all restarted up fine since then, but I continue getting an error with Trillian. The error states: "unable to read from or write to the configuration directory for this account".

After searching for this on the web and in Trillian's forum, I found the recommended solution was uninstalling Trillian, removing both the program folder and %appdata folder left behind, then reinstall. This did not work, so I did I uninstalled, removed the two folders again, removed the one instance left in my registry, scanned and removed all instances of "trillian" from my computer, ran clean up ware, registry cleanup ware, rebooted, disengaged both my firewall and Threatfire, and reinstalled once again. No dice. And the problem is now beyond me. Aside from uninstalling Threatfire and PC Tools Firewall, and trying all the above yet again, I have no clue what to do. I *need* Trillian to work because the only replacement program I know of is Pidgin, which I don't like for several reasons.

I run Windows XP w/service pack 3
    AVG free
    PC Tools firewall (free)
    Threatfire (free)

For cleanup I use Glary Utilities and CC Cleaner.

I appreciate any suggestions.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try installing again, then use Revo Uninstaller (moderate setting) to uninstall it. There might be things left in the registry. Revo first uses the program's own uninstaller. Then it goes on to find all the registry entries, things like CLSID which you might never see.
    Note: if it asks to reboot after step 3 (finished with the program's uninstaller) select No or later, otherwise the regestry will be overlooked. After Revo is finally done, then reboot.

3. Cleokatrah

Cleokatrah Private E-2

You rock. I was looking a while ago for a similar uber-remover I used to have but I couldn't remember the program name. This one is even better. It worked so good, I wish I had more programs to uninstall!

I knew you guys were Da Bomb ^_^

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds