Anyone own a Patriot xporter XT 16GB flash drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Keyser Soze, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

i own 2 flash drives, a 2 GB lexar lightning and a 1 GB kingston datatravler

the computer reads the lexar like another HDD but the kingston like a removeable drive, so my question is for another that owns the above drive, how is it read like an HDD or removeable?

Attached Files:

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

I don't know why but yes, it's normal for Lexars to appear as another hard drive instead of the standard removable drive that most USB drives appear as.

Between friends and ourselves, we have Kingston Travellers, Imation, Sandisk, unknown brand, Lexar Jump Drive, and a couple of MP3 type devices and to my recollection only the Lexar appears as a hard drive.

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Keyser,

I think maybe the Driver determines whether or not the system knows if it's removable or not.

Luck, Jim

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

when u say whether it is removeable or not, do u mean like a hdd u have to unmount before pulling? cuz the lexar i yank it out whenever, never a problem

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Keyser,

I'm pretty sure that all the warning about unplugging USB things is only to stop you from unplugging while the drive etc is being written to or read from. If so it's just waiting for the read/write to finish so you don't lose stuff.

Jim

6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

no, no unmount, im asking like the picture will it appeasr up there by C drive, or down under the DVD drives

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

It doesn't really matter IMO, as long as it appears somwhere and is a true 16gig. Bazza

===

8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

well, it doesnt "really" matter it is just a trivial annoyance, and i think it looks nicer

ok the corsair 16GB is confirmed as being read as a removeable

Attached Files:

9. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

I didn't really make it clear in my previous post that so far as I know, only the Lexars show up as another hard drive. I gather you were wanting to know what the Patriot would do before you decided to buy one?

Jim's right about the warnings being to stop you pulling a flash drive out while it's being written to or read so you don't damage your files, which is why I've found the Lexar to be a nuisance in that regard because it doesn't show up in USB devices. Maybe that's just my computer, maybe that's Lexar. Anyway, the way I deal with this is just to use the same method I'd use on my 98SE laptop; right click on the Lexar in My Computer and choose Eject. If the disk is still being used, it won't let you eject it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds