All games freezing with new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brasseaux, May 6, 2007.

1. Brasseaux

Brasseaux Private E-2

I recently had a Sapphire ATI 9800 Radeon Pro (256mb) go out on me, so I decided to upgrade the card. I bought a GeForce 7600gs 512mb DDR2 (AGP 8X).

Knowing the problems with switching from ATI to Nnvidia, I went ahead and formatted my computer. I installed the new card and drivers, and everything went fine. Except...every game I've tried to play (Madden 2k7, Oblivion) freezes in about 20 seconds. I usually don't even get past the menu screen. The music will sometimes still play, or it sounds like a CD skipping. It either then goes black and I have to hard boot, or it crashes to the desktop. I uninstalled the games, and then reinstalled. Same thing. I updated the drivers on my MOBO. I flushed the Nvidia drivers with Driver Cleaner in safe mode, and then reinstalled. Same thing. Someone suggested disabling fast-writes in Bios...did it..and nothing changed.

I'm wondering if the card is just bad? The only other thing I thought was that maybe my MOBO http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=K7N2_Delta-ILSR is not compatible with graphic cards that run DDR2? (I know little about this stuff :eek: )

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

sounds like a weak power supply. It's recommended that you have at least a 300-350W PSU to run a 7600GS. Do you know how many watts your PSU puts out? If not, you can take a look at the sticker on the side of the PSU

What brand/specific model is the card?

Welcome to majorgeeks

3. Brasseaux

Brasseaux Private E-2

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

how many amps on the 12v rail? On newegg.com, the BFG 7600GS needs 350W with 20A on the 12v rail

5. Brasseaux

Brasseaux Private E-2

How do I find that information out? I bought my PSU from newegg, but the specs are not accessible any longer.

This is my PSU: ENERMAX EG365P-VE(FM) ATX12V 350W Power Supply

I'm going to look inside and see what I can find.

6. Brasseaux

Brasseaux Private E-2

Here is what I found on my PSU: +12V / 26A

Does that help?

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yea it does. your PSU should be fine then.

i wanna see what other ideas people have, its late here=no brain power lol:D

8. Brasseaux

Brasseaux Private E-2

Well, things just got more interesting, and I think this may be a much larger problem. A few days before my ATI Radeon 9800pro went out, I kept getting atiVdag bluescreen (something like that) errors..."stuck in infinite loop." Went through all the driver cleaner stuff then. Then, one morning, I had the lines across the screen like the card had fried. That's when I got the new card, formatted, and everything was fine until I tried to play any video games.

Well, about thirty minutes ago, I started to get bluescreen errors for the Nvidia rather than the ATI...called n4_disp ---stuck in infinite loop. It then made the system reboot. In other words, it seems like the problems are reoccuring now....with a formatted system and on a totally DIFFERENT card.

Any thoughts? Could it be a MOBO failure?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds