Blue screen of Death!

Discussion in 'Software' started by ronnie, Jan 9, 2004.

1. ronnie

ronnie Private E-2

Help, ive searched the forums but cant find the answer. When i am using my pc running windows xp after a while i get a blue screen saying "dumping physical memory" along with a load of other garble i dont get time to read! the pc then continues to shut down and start up again. Can anybody help? :rolleyes:

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

right click on "My Computer". choose properties.

choose advanced tab, then start up and recovery.. at the bottom you'll see "automatically restart" . Uncheck the box and the next time it happens, it will dump to a blue screen and it will not reboot.

Write the error message down and post it here.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Also make sure the next time you get the error, write down all the details and post them.

Shouldn't this be in Software>

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yeah.. just moved it. That dreaded new posts link at the top is a good thing and a bad thing.. It's great for seeing new posts but even though it shows what forum it's in, I still just don't pay attention to it..

any way..

5. ronnie

ronnie Private E-2

here goes

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
    if this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen restart your computer.
    if this screen appears again, follow these steps.
    check to be sure you have adequate disk space. if a driver is identified in the stop message disable the driver or check with manufacturer for driver updates. try changing video adapters. check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

***STOP:0X0000008E (0XC0000005,0XFC287DB1,0XF6DAV69C,0X00000000)
    ***WEBSTAR.SYS-ADDRESS FC287D1B BASE AT FC 287000, DATE STAMP 3C1D65C4

BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY
    PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP COMPLETE.
    CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR OR TECHNICAL SUPPORT GROUP FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE.

Hoping you people out there can help :p

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

that's a cable modem driver.. unplug that machine from the network.. sounds like you're using a USB cable modem. If you unplug the modem, it shouldn't load the driver. if you get into the OS, uninstall the modem drivers and go with an ETHERNET (Cat5e) connection to the modem. If you require more assistance on this, just let us know.

7. ronnie

ronnie Private E-2

Yep your right... the cable modem is connected via a usb port. Do i just need to get a Network interface card and Cat e cable? will the card come with the necessary driver? The cable service provider used to install via NIC but changed to usb, because they reckon people where complaining saying their NIC was causing other problems. What type of NIC do i need.

8. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I've been using NIC cards to connect my cablemodem since I've had cable. It has been the USB connection that has caused me the only problem I've ever had. XP has it's own native drivers for most NIC cards. After you install one, boot up, and XP should find it and load the drivers for you.

You might want to go to Windows update after, and see if an updated driver is available.

9. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

Yes, a standard NIC, you can pick up a cheap one for $10.
    The NIC will come with the proper driver disk, as long as you don't buy a cheap OEM one from someplace that hasn't bothered to make the disks for them.

Check your cable modem manual, you may need a crossover cable to connect it directly to a machine. Or you can look on the net for the manual.

10. ronnie

ronnie Private E-2

Right, been out and bought a Mercury 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet PCI Card, installed it into pc (computer recognises it, installed driver) but when trying to get onto the internet it comes up with Cannot Find Server Page Cannot be Displayed. Message at bottom of webpage reads - Downloading from site res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdock.dll/dnserror.htm

Had to reconnect modem through usb to get online and post this message.
    HELP!!! ageing rapidly!

11. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Try reinstalling the NIC connection, and go to Control Panel/Network connections,, and right click any connections listed there. Choose Properties, and see if your NIC is properly recognized. Also, if there is still a listing for your USB connection, delete it.

I'm just trying to think of things to try. There are some members here (KODO) who are much better at this kind of thing than I am.

Hopefully they (KODO) will look in here and solve your problem.

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you rang? ;)

anywho. if after you've done what dperino has suggested and still doesn't work then we'll need to see if your NIC is getting DHCP address. So let us know what the status of NIC says in your device manager and then we'll proceed because having you go through all this stuff with out the NIC being properly installed is a moot effort.

13. ronnie

ronnie Private E-2

Kodo done what Dperino suggested still not successfull, ive done as you suggested and gone to device manager, the nic is showing up and enabled, but it wont let me connect to internet, DHCP address? how do i check it.... it shows up when the connection is through usb.
    awaiting reply,
    Thanx Kodo

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ronnie:

From a command prompt (cmd.exe)

Type:

ipconfig /all
    press ENTER

--What is the IP address?

ipconfig /renew
    press ENTER

What is the error that comes up? (Word for word please)

15. ronnie

ronnie Private E-2

sorted, looks like its worked, thanx guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds