Bought new AC adapter, Battery won't charge now

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by papercutsbyjoe, Jun 13, 2008.

1. papercutsbyjoe

papercutsbyjoe Private E-2

Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out.

I suddenly lost all power to my AC adapter and thus ran out of battery power quickly. I desperately needed to use my computer and ended up going to BB and bought a new adapter for my Dell Inspiron 9200. It runs perfectly when plugged in, but now it will not recharge the battery. It turns off instantly when I unplug the cord.

Is my battery ruined too? Could it be caused by my AC adapter breaking? How can I tell it to start charging the battery, not just supply power directly?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

How long did you leave it for the battery to charge? Does the battery charing icon show up as charging in the bottom right hand toolbar?

Have you taken the battery out and checked all the contacts are clean and not bent out of shape? If they are not shiny, polish them with a pencil eraser.

3. papercutsbyjoe

papercutsbyjoe Private E-2

Okay, you know how this goes.

I've had this problem for weeks, been driven nuts by it, and finally when I post online after running out of ideas, I figure out the problem.

Here's what happened: the adapter came with tons of different plugs that go into the back of the computer. I found one that fit and jsut assumed there was one plug for each possible size. It turns out there are three plugs that are the same size needed for my computer. I switched the plug with another that looks almost exactly like the other one, and it actually is charging the battery now. I feel pretty stupid for that one, but hopefully if someone else reads this it will help them. still have a bag full of different adapter ends for other computers. I guess I can charge about anything now.

Thanks for the reply!

~Joe

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Glad you got it figured out - we all have a story to tell so don't feel too bad ;)

5. BKosher2

BKosher2 Private E-2

Hey THANKS!!

I had the same problem and your solution worked!
    I changed the tip and it started charging!!

I really appreciate your suggestion!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds