Laptop Can't Obtain IP Address (Wired)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lloyd1337, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Lloyd1337

Lloyd1337 Private E-2

I recently purchaced a new laptop, but when I went to connect it to my wired internet, it says it failed to get an IP address.

The cable I used to connect my laptop was previously connected to my Xbox360, which connected to the internet fine and has never had any problems with networking. All of my connections are plugged to a 5-port network switch, which is connected to my modem.

I can connect to a wireless network fine, but since it is not mine (it is someone in my neighbourhood's), the signal strength is very low and it is probably not legal to use someone else's wireless internet.

Does anyone know how I can get the laptop to obtain an IP address? I'm running Windows XP Home on the laptop.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

First thing to try is powering down everything and then power up in sequence; modem, switch and then computer.

3. Lloyd1337

Lloyd1337 Private E-2

Nope. No luck.

I also tried plugging the laptop directly into the modem, which didn't work, and plugging it into another ethernet cable, which also didn't work. I'm guessing at this point that it is a problem with the laptop, possibly.

How long do I have to have the switch unplugged for it to forget all of the IP addresses and assign new ones? Because I think it may only be capable of assigning 5 IP addresses at a time, and it can't assign a new one to the laptop because it hasn't forgotton the old one for the Xbox360.

Also, would replacing my switch with a router solve the problem?

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Let's back up a bit.
    What type of connection and modem do you have?
    The switch doesn't assign IP addresses, the modem does.
    Did you have multiple devices accessing the internet at the same time or just one?
    Also check in device manager under network adapters for your wired connection. Any indications of problems there? Hooking the computer straight to the modem should have given you internet access depending on the set up of the modem.
    Depending on the modem functions, a router may not be needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds